Daughters B-Day Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
Well my daughter had some B-Day money to spend so she decided on a water turtle. My wife had an empty 29 gallon (I think that's the size) that was a crabitat before we moved them. She was gonna do fish but couldn't make up her mind, so she offered it as a new home for the little turtle.

So Friday I had some extra time, I went out to the shed and found some fountain pumps, not sure of the specs but it's little one and really pushes the water. I made a small filter box to house it and camo'd it with some plastic plants.

We got some flat stones from our local dirt cheap mulch. After a few test setups we had what we wanted just needed the turtles. She wanted two so she bought one for her younger sister.

They are Southern Painted Turtles. We picked them up saturday, so far they are eating good.

Izzy eats like a pig and eats anything, Lizzy is a bit shy and more picky, she has only touched the Reptisticks once but has been eating fresh greens, I plan to get her some more options this evening.

Here is Lizzy

izzy_lizzy01.jpg

and Her buddy Izzy the piglet :D

izzy_lizzy02.jpg

izzy_lizzy03.jpg

izzy_lizzy04.jpg

izzy_lizzy05.jpg

Here is my Donut eating MONSTER helping with every little task.

izzy_lizzy06.jpg

izzy_lizzy07.jpg

izzy_lizzy08.jpg

izzy_lizzy09.jpg

izzy_lizzy10.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Wow look at that smile, thats also a great set up your daughter must be happy about it..

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Your Daughter looks so happy to have Lizzy-who by thy was to too adorable! That is one great looking tank. she is one lucky turtle.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Very nice looking set up, just love water turtles, give em time and they will be very personable, some people dont think so but they really are, mine go crazy when they see me, I'm their momma who always has treats lol

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Sorry, I think the title threw people off, they are my daughters turtles but she's 10 and ready to actually help out, the pic is my 2 year old son, he's purty little guy, but don't let the purty fool you he's a bad little booger. He's with me full time along with the turtles, and he's actually that happy because while out getting spring mix for the torts this morning I got a bag of donuts for him.

Yea I have always liked turtles, I had some when I was a kid, a Red Ear and a Texas Map, they were great, lots of fun.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nice looking turtles, and a great looking enclosure.
Just FYI young turtles like live food, so bugs and the like should be a big hit with them.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Great set up and I love that cave (?) Southern Painted's are a good choice too...they don't get too big.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
dmmj said:
Nice looking turtles, and a great looking enclosure.
Just FYI young turtles like live food, so bugs and the like should be a big hit with them.

Thanks, what kind of bugs, when I was young there was only turtle sticks. I was looking at the Zoo Med Can O stuff.

http://www.petco.com/N_71_92/Aquatic-Turtle-Food.aspx?CoreCat=AquaticTurtleHPFood

So many choices or really so many companies trying to cash in on the new hobbiest.

terryo said:
Great set up and I love that cave (?) Southern Painted's are a good choice too...they don't get too big.

Thanks, it took a lot of testing and setup changes to get a cave I felt safe with. They seem to be very happy with all the nooks for climbing and hiding along with the shallows.

Yea adult size played a big role in my choice, plus I just like the color red.

FADE2BLACK_1973

5 Year Member
Kentucky
Cute lil one's. Be sure that your daughter dont mistake them as funny lookin donuts..lol

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I think that looks awsome and so refreshing from all the pictures I have seen of the poor little turtles in bowls of death.

You have done a fantastic job and make me jealous, if my wife would let me I would love to have a set-up half as nice as that.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
sweeeeeeet turtles and great set up....and your boy has a familiar look in his donut rush glazed over eyes....LOL....my son use to get that same glazed over...cant stop myself im cracked out on sugar look....way fun....

Status
Not open for further replies.