De-worming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsStaal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I have a Greek tortoise I have named Geno. He was recently a little ill, runny nose and watery eyes, and I took him to the vet to get him checked out. He's fine just needed eye drops and nose drops. My question though is the vet said he should be de-wormed 2 times a year. I'm fifteen years old and my parents don't really plan on paying for that so I would have to. I don't mind if it's necessary but I don't want to spend 30+ dollars if it isn't. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if they do a fecal test... and find worms, it should be done. I wormed mine when I first got them, and have not done since.
I'd start putting $ away in a piggy bank... you never know when you may need a new light or heat bulb. Those aren't cheap either!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never medicate any animal unless they actually have something to medicate for. So, no, you don't have to worm them 2 times a year. In fact you don't ever have to worm them if they aren't showing any problems. My leopard I have had since May last year. He was from a breeder and never has seen a vet yet. A fecal check once a year is all you need to do only if you feel you want to. That's my opinion. Over medicating is not a good thing.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
I never medicate unless they are sympomatic or unless I ever get a wc animal in, or even if I get an animal that is a rescue or something.

Reptiles are good in the sense that most illnesses can be self corrected and cured with environmental (micro) alterations (ie, increased heat, humidity, diet, etc)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
MrsStaal said:
I have a Greek tortoise I have named Geno. He was recently a little ill, runny nose and watery eyes, and I took him to the vet to get him checked out. He's fine just needed eye drops and nose drops. My question though is the vet said he should be de-wormed 2 times a year. I'm fifteen years old and my parents don't really plan on paying for that so I would have to. I don't mind if it's necessary but I don't want to spend 30+ dollars if it isn't. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Sounds like either an inexperienced vet or one that is trying create more income for themselves!

Regular de-worming isn't necessary unless there is an evident problem, especially not twice a year!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I have yet to deworm a pet box turtle or tortoise. If the parasite load is high, then the animal will be weakend, and should certainly be dewormed. But if the parasite load is low, then the animal will be healthy, and would only be stressed by medication.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
GeoTerraTestudo said:
I have yet to deworm a pet box turtle or tortoise. If the parasite load is high, then the animal will be weakend, and should certainly be dewormed. But if the parasite load is low, then the animal will be healthy, and would only be stressed by medication.

I agree!

It should also be noted that tortoise's have digestive parasites present in their system all the time. When they become a problem and flourish is when a tortoise is highly stressed and/or ill. The immune system is usually weak at those times and cannot keep parasites in check. This is when it becomes a problem. Medication, even at times when needed to control parasites, can often cause more problems with the tortoise's health and stress level. So it should only be used when absolutely necessary.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenn:

If you're worried about parasites, you can take a fresh stool sample to the vet to have it checked. Twice a year de-worming is something that used to be taught in the olden days. Us more "enlightened" folks, now-a-days, don't de-worm unless the turtle/tortoise really needs it. And the only way to know if he needs it is have the poop checked.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know people who deworm every year, but twice a year is to much, unless he is some area where wild animals can interact with him, and even then I would only deworm a tortoise if he actually had parasites.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
GBtortoises said:
I agree!

It should also be noted that tortoise's have digestive parasites present in their system all the time. When they become a problem and flourish is when a tortoise is highly stressed and/or ill. The immune system is usually weak at those times and cannot keep parasites in check. This is when it becomes a problem. Medication, even at times when needed to control parasites, can often cause more problems with the tortoise's health and stress level. So it should only be used when absolutely necessary.

Exactly. At low levels of infection, parasitic worms may even be healthy for turtles and other animals - possibly even us! For one thing, parasitic worms modulate the immune system, and as long as they are not too abundant, they may prevent autoimmune disorder. Also, when it comes to reptilian herbivores like tortoises, parasitic worms may even serve to churn food in the intestinal tract, improving the animal's ability to digest tough, fibrous plant matter. Again, all of this refers to low-intensity parasitism, and not worm infestations, which take a visible toll on the host.

Status
Not open for further replies.