Dead tortoise or not?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I recently had a case where a tortoise had died unexpectedly. I planned to bury her the next day and when I looked the next morning, she was looking back at me, alive.
A word of warning about tortoises that look dead. They can and do go into a coma like state and sometimes come back out. I've found that it is not all that unusual.
I even touched my tortoises open and glassed over eyeball. No reaction.
Any tortoise that has died I would strongly recommend that you wait at least two days to dispose of them. And do not assume that any tortoise with limp and dangling arms are dead.
I almost buried a live animal.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good warning Ed - it's a horrible thought.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Excellent info. Every animal that I have ever had that passed in my home has been given at least 24 hours (or more) until I "called it". I have never been as fortunate as you to have one reanimate, but I have still had hope every time.

When my first tortoise died, he was lifeless,cold and there was a horrible smell coming from the enclosure. We buried him in the family grave at the end of the day. I sure hope he hasn't dug his way out the grave

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
I once buried a ;pet hamster that had died,and the next day i found him running around the garden

BL9

I recently had a case where a tortoise had died unexpectedly. I planned to bury her the next day and when I looked the next morning, she was looking back at me, alive.
A word of warning about tortoises that look dead. They can and do go into a coma like state and sometimes come back out. I've found that it is not all that unusual.
I even touched my tortoises open and glassed over eyeball. No reaction.
Any tortoise that has died I would strongly recommend that you wait at least two days to dispose of them. And do not assume that any tortoise with limp and dangling arms are dead.
I almost buried a live animal.
What did your tortoise look like? I woke up this morning to find my tortoise with his eyes closed and sunken in, his arms legs and head sticking out of his shell and his mouth gaping open. I'm desperately hoping he is just in a deep hibernation as I've heard of this happening but I don't know how long to keep him for before burying him

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What did your tortoise look like? I woke up this morning to find my tortoise with his eyes closed and sunken in, his arms legs and head sticking out of his shell and his mouth gaping open. I'm desperately hoping he is just in a deep hibernation as I've heard of this happening but I don't know how long to keep him for before burying him

What kind of tortoise is yours? Put him in a warm soak and watch for response.

BL9

What kind of tortoise is yours? Put him in a warm soak and watch for response.
He is a Hermann Tortoise. I have wrapped him up in a blanket and placed him under a heat lamp and had no signs of response so far, will try soaking him in warm water now. Thank you

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Up until his/her death or illness, how did you keep your tortoise?
I wish you the best outcome, but maybe there is a reason that this little guy took a turn for the worse that one of us would see with a little help.
can you post any photos of it's enclosure, lighting and tell us what foods you've fed and how long have you kept it.

BL9

He seemed very happy and healthy up until today, he's been a little off his food but I assumed that was due to it being near his hibernation time. His enclosure is quite small for his size but it was the one that he came with and I haven't been able to afford a new one yet but I rpeace his UBV light every six months as recommended. He eats mostly spring greens and loves his fruit!
I've just been to check on him and his mouth is now closed, that's a good sign, right?!?