Status
Not open for further replies.

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi All,

I've been using Marsh Grass and Clover Hay, for some of my larger Grassland species, as a substrate. I have been very happy with it, but had one concern. As they chew it down and graze, a dust residue forms and becomes airborn throughout my basement. I am trying to change the grass before it gets grazed down that much and am trying to dust more frequently. It really has become a chore during the winter as the tortoises are in and the house is closed-up.

I had a conversation with a smoker the other day and they swear by a filter called Ionic Breeze. I don't think this would work for my applications, but it got me thinking. I know there are filters used in woodshops and such. Do any of you have any knowledge of an energy efficient air filter that might keep the air born grass dust contained? Have any of you had this problem and dealt with it differently.

I can certainly keep on doing things the way I have been, but if possible would love a more efficient way to deal with the dust.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Be well

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
jpeck425 said:
Hi All,

I've been using Marsh Grass and Clover Hay, for some of my larger Grassland species, as a substrate. I have been very happy with it, but had one concern. As they chew it down and graze, a dust residue forms and becomes airborn throughout my basement. I am trying to change the grass before it gets grazed down that much and am trying to dust more frequently. It really has become a chore during the winter as the tortoises are in and the house is closed-up.

I had a conversation with a smoker the other day and they swear by a filter called Ionic Breeze. I don't think this would work for my applications, but it got me thinking. I know there are filters used in woodshops and such. Do any of you have any knowledge of an energy efficient air filter that might keep the air born grass dust contained? Have any of you had this problem and dealt with it differently.

I can certainly keep on doing things the way I have been, but if possible would love a more efficient way to deal with the dust.

Be well

i heard sharper image went bankrupt after being sued over there ionic breeze product lol

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
kevantheman35 said:
jpeck425 said:
Hi All,

Be well

i heard sharper image went bankrupt after being sued over there ionic breeze product lol
Bummer, that was a fun store. Now where is a guy supposed to go to buy a life-sized statue of the creature from "Aliens"? Lol :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
jpeck, there are many air purifiers like Honeywell · Fram · Beck Arnley, etc but I am not sure that will do what you want it to. Sounds like your air in the Basement is truley filled with hay dust. Not something I would think you or your torts should be breathing. I would contact some of the companies that have air purifiers like the ones I mentioned also there are some that are commercal but I am sure they are really expensive. Perhaps using more than one in the area will do the trick or changing their substrate to something less dusty might be the ticket.

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
Crazy1 said:
jpeck, there are many air purifiers like Honeywell · Fram · Beck Arnley, etc but I am not sure that will do what you want it to. Sounds like your air in the Basement is truley filled with hay dust. Not something I would think you or your torts should be breathing. I would contact some of the companies that have air purifiers like the ones I mentioned also there are some that are commercal but I am sure they are really expensive. Perhaps using more than one in the area will do the trick or changing their substrate to something less dusty might be the ticket.

Hi Robyn,

I might have made it sound worse than it is. I won't say that the air is "filled" with hay dust, but the hay definitely adds to the normal dust levels. I'll take a look at the Air Purifiers you mentioned and see what type of filtration they have.

Thanks for your suggestion

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
jpeck425 said:
kevantheman35 said:
jpeck425 said:
Hi All,

Be well

Bummer, that was a fun store. Now where is a guy supposed to go to buy a life-sized statue of the creature from "Aliens"? Lol :)

And they had a life size Yoda (awsome) and a remote control R2-D2!!! Yeah, I'm a nerd, LOL :)

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.