Dealing with Mold

Ramsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego California
Hello, I would like to know what others are using/doing to combat mold from an enclosed habitat.

I'm running 80% humidity with temps ranging from 80-95F.

I understand that the food will sometimes mold if left out for a day but some of the bark substrate is molding too now. I spot clean it daily, but is there another avenue that's self managed?

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All I know that will cause the mold is not cleaning up all foods and poops. Otherwise just pick up what is moldy and throw it away or you can also place it under the hot spot. I'm guessing though it's stuff you have missed causing the mold.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I have a large population of pill bugs in my enclosures and they eat all the leftover food and poop so that I have never had a mold issue before with them being in the tank.

yillt

Hello, I would like to know what others are using/doing to combat mold from an enclosed habitat.

I'm running 80% humidity with temps ranging from 80-95F.

I understand that the food will sometimes mold if left out for a day but some of the bark substrate is molding too now. I spot clean it daily, but is there another avenue that's self managed?

Thanks!
I agree with @wellington. If I were you, I would just pick out the mouldy bits. Maybe you could try another substrate? I use coco coir (bricks ) and I have never experienced mould. Especially if the cage is well ventilated and in light.