dealing with power cuts

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cumbria england
we had a power cut today and the electric was out for a few hrs which meant sparky had not light or heat and has messed up the timer that controls sparkys lights. (i'm waiting to they go off and going to re set them). This got me wondering what would be best to do if the power was out for a lengthy period? how long would they be ok before you have to find another safe heat source?

Mommabear

Ventura Co. CA
I have those hand warmers to wrap in a towel. If you don't have any try a hot water bottle or using double zip loc bags? Maybe even a Tupperware with water under towels in a smaller enclosure?

Just some ideas. Not sure on the time without heat though. I guess it would vary by species.

Good luck and stay safe!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The amount of time would depend on species and age. The ideas listed by Mommabear are all good ideas. Also while doing this, put the tort in as small of an enclosure as possible, but where they can get off the warming device. As for light, they can go quite a while without uvb, so that wouldn't be a worry.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
thank you. it went out again some time last night and came back on again about 10am so his lights/heat times are all thrown off. i gave him a nice long soak and he seems to have woken up a bit. i thought i could turn the heating up with it being a gas boiler then i realized it controlled by an electric switch :mad:. its weird we have had weeks of storm and the powers been fine. now its just cold and it keeps going off.