Power outages:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Question is what do people do when they lose power? I've been at my apartment for 3 years and have never lost power but we are expecting 24inches of snow Friday so I would like to be prepared. How can I keep my little Leo warm if we happen to lose power? I have a bunch of hand/foot warmer's I was thinking if I had to I could place them under the dirt in his hide.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisle Illinois
RE: What do people do?

You could purchase some heat packs, styrofoam cooler and a bag of timothy hay for emergencies if ever the power outage in a colder climate. Punch 4 dime size holes, one on each side of the outside of the styrofoam cooler for air circulation, fill it with the hay and throw in a heat pack, monitor the temperature often, should be enough until the power goes back on or to get them to a warm building, the objective is to reduce the chances of stressing them out.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida

How cold do you anticipate the house to get, how long do you think it would be until power would hypothetically restored if it hypothetically failed, and what species do you keep (and at what size)?

Richsandwich

5 Year Member

I don't know what to anticipate. For some reaso everyone around me always loses power but I never have. This could be one of the worst storms to ever hit they are saying. So who knows power could be down for days if I lose it. I'm picking up a styrofoam cooler tonight. I already have some heat packs ill grab some more. I have a 4 month old leopard. If power is down for days my grandparents have a generator an live a few towns over so I could bring him over there.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida

Yeah, a leopard would be more susceptible to potential issues, so a plan is not unwarranted. If you had temperate Testudo animals, I would say not to sweat it at all.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT

I had lived in my house for 7 years with no power outages ever. Then that strange October snowstorm hit and I lost power for 5 days. It was very scary and I had to find people with wood burning stoves to take my tortoises. Immediately after power was restored we had the whole house wired for a generator. We are hopefully moving this Spring and an automatic generator is a must for the next house.

Shannon and Jason

5 Year Member
South Arkansas
RE: What do people do? (power outage)

Well, if we were to lose pwr which I am hoping doesn't happen.I have 3 plans (a back up for the back up plan lol) Plan one stay at home move Tanks entire enclosure to the living room near the fireplace (when that thing going the entire room gets too warm to wanna stay).....if by some chance that isn't an option I will take my lil guy to my dads (he has a generator and fireplace) and if by some chance that can't happen. I would have to travel an hour to my in laws (generator and wood burning stove). But what would be even better is if my signifcant other would be so kind as to get us our own generator and wire it up since he is an electrician :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.

See if u can find a kerosene heater? Lucky for me we bought an RV when we were both working and I always keep propane in it to run the furnace just in case of a power outage.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York

We lost power here from Sandy for over two weeks. Nothing like that has ever happened like this in my area. I had to send my very young tortoises to my neighbors daughters house for over two weeks.

I you live in an apartment house you will not be able to use most of what is listed on these posts. I would just get your tortoise/s to another location asap. I had a hard time keeping my babies warm until I was able to send them off. I needed to heat up bags of rice and boil water to keep them warm (I was lucky to still have my gas stove working). Good luck!

~C

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT

CLMoss said:
We lost power here from Sandy for over two weeks. Nothing like that has ever happened like this in my area. I had to send my very young tortoises to my neighbors daughters house for over two weeks.

I you live in an apartment house you will not be able to use most of what is listed on these posts. I would just get your tortoise/s to another location asap. I had a hard time keeping my babies warm until I was able to send them off. I needed to heat up bags of rice and boil water to keep them warm (I was lucky to still have my gas stove working). Good luck!

~C

If it ever happens again you can send your tort's to me, I will babysit.

Belladannon

5 Year Member
Maine

My vet told me if we ever lose power i could bring him in and they would keep him. If you have a vet for your tort, you can always ask them. We are up here in Maine, so we gonna get hit hard this weekend, so that's my plan of we lose power.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT

My Vet was the first place I called and they were out of power longer than us.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York

CtTortoiseMom said:
CLMoss said:

~C

If it ever happens again you can send your tort's to me, I will babysit.

Thank you! How about me? LOL! I may need a place as well! ~C

Belladannon said:
My vet told me if we ever lose power i could bring him in and they would keep him. If you have a vet for your tort, you can always ask them. We are up here in Maine, so we gonna get hit hard this weekend, so that's my plan of we lose power.

That is a great idea! And was what I was going to do with my parrots when Sandy hit NYC. In the event something like this is expected to happen again, all of my pets are going to my vet's office, so that I will not have to worry about them. ~C

Tony the tank

5 Year Member

When I lived in the northeast(last month) .. Every time they predicted possible outages.. I would crank the heat up in tortoise room...(I could get it up to 115*f) ...just in case I lost power for a few hrs i would have a good window before I had to worry..or plug in the generator..

N2TORTS

5 Year Member

GENERATOR*:D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

If all else fails......this is what I did for 4 days after Sandy. I keep a bag of empty soda bottles in the garage, and I fill them with very hot water and put them in the enclolsures, and covered the whole viv with drop cloths. I had to do this every few hours. It was a pain, but it worked. I want a generator, but they are so expensive. My son has one that is battery operated and has 4 outlets. I might get that one. It would be just for the torts.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA

I have a stockpile of hand and foot warmers - Mostly for me :)) ) but always good in a pinch, like getting your tort to a neighbors house with power/a generator. I'm in the same area expecting snow, and fingers crossed we won't lose power!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT

Pokeymeg said:
I have a stockpile of hand and foot warmers - Mostly for me :)) ) but always good in a pinch, like getting your tort to a neighbors house with power/a generator. I'm in the same area expecting snow, and fingers crossed we won't lose power!

My fingers are crossed for myself but I will cross my toes for you!

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York

My Brother just bought a generator on ebay for around $200. In the past I never needed anything like this; however, after Sandy and this new fear, I may just buy one. It is all about the tortoises!

~C

Richsandwich

5 Year Member

I bought about 6 packs of hand warmer's and a styrofoam cooler just in case. If all else fails my jeep is like a tank and I will brave the 30inches of snow and bring Louie to a house with a generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.