decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
ugh...I don't like changing my decisions but I may have to end up keeping my tortoise...my parent are not happy that I want to trade the tortoise and their is a small pat of me that feels I should keep him...and trying to trade him and sell him for many months has been difficult and stressful to find someone who is interested...I may end up keeping him and instead of expanding his indoor enclosure, starting spring when it get warm I will convert my old chicken coop into an outdoor lush greenery enclosure for him. The space is more bigger and more generous than his current and my old idea of expanding his indoor enclosure and the location is perfect to provide sun and lots of shade. When winter approaches I will provide a temporarily indoor enclosure in the garage. I like the idea since it seem feasible now, I will probably save money on electric bills in the summer months!LOL

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well if you were simply trying to rehome him due to these issues, then sounds like you worked it out....awesome :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...and there's nothing wrong with changing your mind about something. Us womenfolk do it all the time (or so I'm told). :p

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
I am going to discuss about this plan to my parents. I think they would be happy that I am not considering to waste nearly almost $200 on this tortoise! while i am somewhat happy to keep him but this plan is prompting me to actually want another redfoot...and possibly a yellow-foot tortoise...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
as a MOM....I would want to see your dedication to your current tortoise before I would consider the addition of any others....

as a tortoise keeper, I would suggest you do some serious serious homework and research on what type of tortoise you actually want dear.....again, simply a suggestion. Keep in mind tortoise have a long life span and should be approached as a life long companion....IMHO :)

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
ascott said:
as a MOM....I would want to see your dedication to your current tortoise before I would consider the addition of any others....

as a tortoise keeper, I would suggest you do some serious serious homework and research on what type of tortoise you actually want dear.....again, simply a suggestion. Keep in mind tortoise have a long life span and should be approached as a life long companion....IMHO :)

I agree completely. I remember a few months ago a girl wrote me from craigslist (I was looking for a redfoot myself at the time and posted a want ad on there) and within 3 emails she went from wanting to get rid of her two boxies to asking me if she could have one of my hatchlings in addition to her turtles! I swear these Torts and turts have a spell over us.

But seriously, take a breather and spend some quality time with your redfoot. If taken care of, he'll still be around in 50 years. Now imagine having to care for 1 or 2 more, all fullgrown.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
turtlesailor said:
I am going to discuss about this plan to my parents. I think they would be happy that I am not considering to waste nearly almost $200 on this tortoise! while i am somewhat happy to keep him but this plan is prompting me to actually want another redfoot...and possibly a yellow-foot tortoise...

I have so been there b4!! My parents would kill me if i suddenly decided I wanted to get out of tortoises, but I have already taken over almost the entire backyard, and devote almost all of my time to them (besides school)!! :D

I would suggest you not get a yellowfoot for a good while because they are much harder to care for than redfoots are and they YF require more attention and can easily get sick.

Just take a breather and enjoy your tort you have now! Taking good care of him will give you the knowledge, patience, and resposibility to care for more torts in the same manner.

Oh good luck and keep us posted!! :D

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
ascott said:

I agree, I have five aquatic turtles and some have different needs and wow over the years the care time given has tremendously increase and I am aware that all ALL of my turtles will outlive me!:p If I ever acquire another redfoot tortoise I would look into adoption option.

I am aware the the challenges of keeping a tortoise. I am aware there is a need to combat humidity outside as i live in a desert,I will provide a lush environment for him so the plants can retain more humidity outside and some shade when it get to hot and sunny outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.