Decorative plants?

mmags

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Helloo :) I’ve been wanting to decorate my almost 4 month Hermann’s tort’s enclosure, he has everything he needs in there but I’d like to just brighten up his place a bit. I’ve seen a lot of tortoise enclosure’s with little plants and was wondering what are some safe plants that can be used in a tortoise enclosure?

mmags

CA
Also are golden pothos safe? I’ve heard some say that it’s toxic and others say it’s not. I want to be sure that any plant I put in with my tortoise is safe in case of ingestion

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Also are golden pothos safe? I’ve heard some say that it’s toxic and others say it’s not. I want to be sure that any plant I put in with my tortoise is safe in case of ingestion
Pothos are definitely safe. I have a large pothos growing in my Hermann’s enclosure and many other keepers on the forum do too. They are so hardy and grow very well in a tortoises environment. I also have a spider plant in my enclosure that does great in the enclosure too.

Whatever plants you decide you want to introduce to your enclosure, it would be best to try and get cuttings from someone you know with established plants. You can’t go to Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc and buy plants there and place them in the enclosure right away. Most greenhouses or big box box stores treat their plants with chemicals to keep bugs away and keep the plants healthy. These chemicals are toxic to our torts. Any plants that I have bought, I re-pot with new soil right away and then I grow them outside of the enclosure for about a year before they go in the enclosure.