Deformed - Injured tail - Adult Male Redfoot

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
So Vern has always had a crooked tail tip as long as I've had him (3 years, he's about 11) and I try to check it weekly to make sure there is no damage and that the kinked side does have dirt/poop/fungus etc.

The skin there has always looked a little thin and today I noticed a little blister. I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be doing. This looks like a spot that once it breaks through it may never heal.

I'm trying to keep him away from the ladies but that's all i have done so far. I was thinking I could put something like liquid bandage in it if he keeps rubbing it on things otherwise I'm not sure there is anything else I can do. 0315181358_HDR.jpg1521147994818.jpg0315181358a_HDR.jpg0310181053.jpgSnapchat-806387531.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you give him an all grassy/weeds enclosure? Or all dirt?
Cement, rocks, logs, wood can all very abrasive.
If you can't then either wait until something happens and then put him in a sick bay enclosure with the end wrapped with an antibiotic on it until healed or try keeping it wrapped before anything happens. Not sure if the liquid bandage would be safe.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Can you give him an all grassy/weeds enclosure? Or all dirt?
Cement, rocks, logs, wood can all very abrasive.
If you can't then either wait until something happens and then put him in a sick bay enclosure with the end wrapped with an antibiotic on it until healed or try keeping it wrapped before anything happens. Not sure if the liquid bandage would be safe.

His yard is mostly grass, he usually sleeps in a dirt patch, but I think he mostly rubs it while trying to woo the ladies so I think I might have to divide the herd. He's locked up in 'time out' in a kiddie pool in the tortoise room away from the others. He doesn't ever walk with his tail down and sleeps with it tucked as well. I think because he was so severely pyramid-ed at a young age the back of his shell just didn't have room for all that tail.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I can’t quite tell by the pictures, but do you think there maybe a little abscess forming there? If so, how about antibiotic (systemic, and/or topical)?