Deformed mandible??

LouiseJayne

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My friends son no longer wants his 5 yr old sulcata tortoise and would like me to take it . She knows i love it. At the same time i will not be able to afford very high vet bills.

I think it has a deformed lower jaw. It sticks out further than its top beak and its mouth always seems to be.very slightly open at all times.

I've searched and searchef online for info about this to no avail. Can't find a photo of any tortoise that looks similar.

It has been fed.mostly lettuce, was never bathed until.i told them they.must and spent most of it's time indoors without a light until i told them it needs to be outside.

It can eat and drink seemingly just fine. It seems ok, walks around slowly. Has apparently never hibernated but why would it if it's usually inside. Is it suffering? Is this a condition that could cause serious problems?

Thamk you for your help.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
I do not own a sulcata, but not to worry I think he/she will be fine now that you will be taking care of him.
One of the sulcata owners who have experience with them will be able to help you. I hope someone contacts you soon.

I don't want to override any sulcata owner's opinon, but for me with any newly gotten neglected turtle/tortoise first thing to do warm water baths. Barely enough water so he can put his head up to breathe. That way to flush the kidneys and get rid of uric acid crystals. Dehydration is really bad for them. There are more things you will need to do but the sulcata owners should be the ones to go over.

Yay, and kudos to you for saving the sulcata!?? Love to hear more about him/her and what name you have given the sulcata, and see some pictures.

Have a good night!
:) :<3::tort::<3:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We'll need to see pictures of the tortoise please.

A couple points that I CAN address before seeing the pictures:
-sulcatas don't hibernate
-when the lower jaw grows out in front of the mouth it is usually because the tortoise didn't get the proper calcium/phosphorous ratio in his food
-Diet should be vastly improved

Until we see pictures so we're sure of the species, and can see the beak, that's about all the help we can offer.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You can file that overgrown beak down yourself...we need pictures and we are glad to help you...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
This is Knobby...I use a dremel tool to slowly file away that overshot jaw...it takes time and there's no hurry needed...I also give him carrots and other hard food to help that jaw...019.JPG