Depressed

Mosin21

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My Russian tortoise I have had them for almost a year however he has been in a very small enclosure I have learned this and I’m getting him a new one but I think he is depressed from being in such a small enclosure he’ll only eat when he wants to or what he wants to but when he’s outside he likes to explore I have continued to soak him but I don’t know if he’s stressed for me taking him outside a lot or no but I don’t think he’s super stressed from me because when I was outside he literally came up to cuddle me

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Herbivores, like cows and tortoises, need to walk a lot so that their digestive organs can process all the tough plant matter they eat. Your pet is stimulated to eat when he is walking.

A larger habitat should make a big difference!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
An outdoor enclosure for warm months is the very best for him. Try making both indoor and outdoor enclosures. The minimum is a 4x8 foot for one adult.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Russian tortoise I have had them for almost a year however he has been in a very small enclosure I have learned this and I’m getting him a new one but I think he is depressed from being in such a small enclosure he’ll only eat when he wants to or what he wants to but when he’s outside he likes to explore I have continued to soak him but I don’t know if he’s stressed for me taking him outside a lot or no but I don’t think he’s super stressed from me because when I was outside he literally came up to cuddle me
Tortoises don't get depressed. Either their needs are being met, or they aren't. If not, they tend to hide out and wait for better conditions. Like when its stormy outside for example.

Read this and make sure everything you are doing sounds right: