I think my tortoise is depressed

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi all,

My tortoise looks depressed. He’s been doing great eating and growing and has enjoyed a summer outside most days in the heat. He has thrived.

Now the weather is not so good he is just sat at the glass looking completely miserable and I find him going into his hide and sleeping a lot. He’s till eating and alert, just looks sad.

I’m thinking of making a new enclosure with an open top, more like a table. I think I can make it more like the outdoor with lots more planting. My vivarium closed chamber is really dark wood combined with dark brown orchid bark it’s all a bit miserable.

I found a bookcase at IKEA that is about 1.5 foot by 5ft. He’s still only small (85g) but I think it could work for this coming winter.

I cannot look at him at winter looking sad.

Any ideas?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Tortoises don’t really get sad. Inactivity is usually caused by temps being too low, or a tortoise trying going into hibernation, etc.

What’s your basking temp, cool side temp, and night temp, and when do your lights turn on/off?

What size enclosure is he currently in?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi Techno

My temps I think are all spot on

Basking 95-100
With a nice gradient to cooler side which is about 75

Lights on 7am and off 7.30pm

I just think he looks unhappy.

He’s in a Viv 2ft by 3ft but he’s still only small. I’m on way to buy the bookcase. Feel like I need to change something.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hi Techno

My temps I think are all spot on

Basking 95-100
With a nice gradient to cooler side which is about 75

Lights on 7am and off 7.30pm

I just think he looks unhappy.

He’s in a Viv 2ft by 3ft but he’s still only small. I’m on way to buy the bookcase. Feel like I need to change something.

Tortoises are generally a bit more active outside, from what I’ve heard. Maybe now that he’s in an indoor enclosure, the inactivity looks Abnormal?

I don’t have any experience with This, so I would get a second opinion :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I forgot what type of tortoise he is? And I know they all need a certain level of humidity and to not get too cold. In the correct habitat for his type, he will not get "sad" - but you will if you think he is!

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Today I’m putting together the bookcase. It’s 5ft long he will look tiny in there but I’m hoping I can make it more like the outdoors with lots of planting. He’s next to the window too so it will be brighter. I’ve spent hours running around getting things for him, just want him to be happy.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Today I’m putting together the bookcase. It’s 5ft long he will look tiny in there but I’m hoping I can make it more like the outdoors with lots of planting. He’s next to the window too so it will be brighter. I’ve spent hours running around getting things for him, just want him to be happy.

The 1.5 feet width is too narrow. Look for a bookcase that is at least 5-6 (L) x 2.5-3 (W) ft if possible. Having a wide enough enclosure is also important make your tortoise not feel trapped.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I literally can’t fit anything else in the gap. I measured and it’s actually 2ft wide so a little better. I’ll send some pics once I’ve got it up and running. I’m going to have to buy some more lighting, a CHE and I may have 2 basking spots as it’s quite long.
The humidity in my house generally runs about 50-60%
This is a temporary thing, the bookcase only cost £15, I’m only going to use it for this coming winter until next year I will get something better made.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
IMG_1535714497.756488.jpgIMG_1535714510.384714.jpg

So I made this table in 24 hours. It’s not perfect I still have some things to modify but I think my tortoise is going to be happier it’s double the size of the Viv.

I’m going to section an area off at the end and put some seed trays to try and grow some stuff.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
View attachment 250041View attachment 250042

So I made this table in 24 hours. It’s not perfect I still have some things to modify but I think my tortoise is going to be happier it’s double the size of the Viv.

I’m going to section an area off at the end and put some seed trays to try and grow some stuff.

Looks great! I’m sure your tort will love it :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Humidity may be an issue, its not covered? Is "50 to 60%" ok for that type of tortoise?

I like the enclosure!

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi Tammy, he’s a Russian so humidity doesn’t need to be so high. I did worry about that but something had to give. I know many people in the U.K. who raise Russians in tables rather than viv’s. I’m just going to make sure he gets a good 30 min soaking each day and keep the substrate damp.

lymcBoris

Scotland
Hi Tammy, he’s a Russian so humidity doesn’t need to be so high. I did worry about that but something had to give. I know many people in the U.K. who raise Russians in tables rather than viv’s. I’m just going to make sure he gets a good 30 min soaking each day and keep the substrate damp.
Hi Katieandiggy, I was wondering if you could tell me what wattage you use for your basking bulb and CHE please? I've just ordered a flood basking bulb at 75W and a CHE for 50W from swell reptiles. My wee Russian has been too cold I think and just keeps digging under. Feel like I keep spending more and more on this wee guy. Every week I order something else! Looks like you have a lovely wee Russian. How old now? Mines is 19 months. Do you know what sex yours is yet? Thanks, Lynne.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi Katieandiggy, I was wondering if you could tell me what wattage you use for your basking bulb and CHE please? I've just ordered a flood basking bulb at 75W and a CHE for 50W from swell reptiles. My wee Russian has been too cold I think and just keeps digging under. Feel like I keep spending more and more on this wee guy. Every week I order something else! Looks like you have a lovely wee Russian. How old now? Mines is 19 months. Do you know what sex yours is yet? Thanks, Lynne.
Does he dig mainly at night? If so then that’s normal, Russians love to dig.

Just to check, what are your basking and ambient temperatures?

It can get quite cold In Scotland can’t it. My dad is from Glasgow and he thinks it’s nice and toasty when it’s 6 degrees outside. “A summers day” as he calls it. :eek: :D

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom

Hi, my basking bulb and CHE are both 100watt and both on thermostats. I set the basking to 35 and at the moment the CHE is set to 25, in the winter when it’s chilly at home I up it to 27.

You commented on my original post from a while back during the winter when my tort was really inactive, he actually massively improved when I got the CHE. I have it over his house where he sleeps and it just gently warms the area. In the mornings before I switch on the basking lamp, I actually find him basking under the CHE

lymcBoris

Scotland
Hi, my basking bulb and CHE are both 100watt and both on thermostats. I set the basking to 35 and at the moment the CHE is set to 25, in the winter when it’s chilly at home I up it to 27.

You commented on my original post from a while back during the winter when my tort was really inactive, he actually massively improved when I got the CHE. I have it over his house where he sleeps and it just gently warms the area. In the mornings before I switch on the basking lamp, I actually find him basking under the CHE
That's great, thank you for that info. I'm still trying to find my way around the forum, so apologies for asking the same questions in different topics. I'm hoping the CHE will really benefit my little tortoise too. I'll stop asking silly questions now. [emoji846]

lymcBoris

Scotland
Does he dig mainly at night? If so then that’s normal, Russians love to dig.

Just to check, what are your basking and ambient temperatures?

It can get quite cold In Scotland can’t it. My dad is from Glasgow and he thinks it’s nice and toasty when it’s 6 degrees outside. “A summers day” as he calls it. :eek: :D
Hi Ben, yes mainly at night but he's been digging under quite early afternoon and sleeping a lot. Basking spot is usually 32-35. Ambient is too cold I've now realised with great advice from Tom and Katieandiggy. Usually 21, sometimes 18! So I've ordered a flood basking bulb, rather than spot, and a CHE to warm up ambient temp. It is pretty chilly in Scotland, yes. 7-9 celcius at the moment. Not so good for little tortoises. We have a slang saying for west coast Scots when the weather is anything above 15 celcius "taps aff" Maybe your Dad will know that saying. [emoji38]

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
That's great, thank you for that info. I'm still trying to find my way around the forum, so apologies for asking the same questions in different topics. I'm hoping the CHE will really benefit my little tortoise too. I'll stop asking silly questions now. [emoji846]

No questions are silly questions. That’s what everyone is here for to pass on knowledge and experience.

My little ones still sleeps a lot, he gets up and basks and then sleeps close by the lamp for a bit, then eats, then naps again, then eats and another nap (get the theme here) lol he does sleep quite a bit. He normally calls it a day around 4pm and then he goes back into his flower pot for bed time.

lymcBoris

Scotland
No questions are silly questions. That’s what everyone is here for to pass on knowledge and experience.

My little ones still sleeps a lot, he gets up and basks and then sleeps close by the lamp for a bit, then eats, then naps again, then eats and another nap (get the theme here) lol he does sleep quite a bit. He normally calls it a day around 4pm and then he goes back into his flower pot for bed time.
Thank you. Aw, they are so sweet these little dinosaurs as my son likes to call them. That makes me feel better as mines does very similar, except he's freezing! He'll be nice and warm very soon.
I am getting carried away with the foraging for new flowers and weeds at the moment. I'm like a total geek! Can't walk anywhere without inspecting and taking snaps of every weed I see and looking it up on tortoise table. The sheer excitement when I find a green edible weed and feed it to my tort! It's pure satisfaction. But if he doesn't like it then it's like total rejection! [emoji47]