I Think I Cooked Matteo

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
He was fine yesterday. I slept most of today, and by the time I checked temps, it was 99F. I have a new CHE on the other side now too.

He’s stiff, lethargic, his body squeaked. His skin looks lighter. He’s just lying there splayed but he’s keeping his head out of the water.

I put him in a bath.

what else can I do?

Herman_WA

Washington
I'm so sorry this happened to your little tort. I really don't know much on this subject, but just know that I'm praying.

Hope some of the more experienced owners can come and help out..

Quixx66

Louisiana
I'm so sorry this happened to your little tort. I really don't know much on this subject, but just know that I'm praying.

Hope some of the more experienced owners can come and help out..
Thank you. He started walking but still looks wobbly and stiff. I hope he pulls through with no long term effects.

Relic

Here
CHE's are a lot like your home heating system - you would never operate it without a controlling thermostat. Trying to "fine tune" an enclosed system without the help of a thermostat is a really tough nut to crack, and much more prone to failure than success. Hopefully, the guy will recover...best of luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He was fine yesterday. I slept most of today, and by the time I checked temps, it was 99F. I have a new CHE on the other side now too.

He’s stiff, lethargic, his body squeaked. His skin looks lighter. He’s just lying there splayed but he’s keeping his head out of the water.

I put him in a bath.

what else can I do?
What species?

TaylorTortoise

Abington

I put him in a bath.

what else can I do?
Pictures?

Quixx66

Louisiana
CHE's are a lot like your home heating system - you would never operate it without a controlling thermostat. Trying to "fine tune" an enclosed system without the help of a thermostat is a really tough nut to crack, and much more prone to failure than success. Hopefully, the guy will recover...best of luck.
I have a new thermostat I bought with it but it’s always way off. I’ll have to return it.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Try to post some tomorrow so we can get a better idea or enclosure and your tortoise
Here’s a fresh pic of my enclosure. I just realized that I took the thermostat off the CHE last night as I can’t get it to work. It reads several degrees lower, and let the enclosure get up to 130F when it was set to 90. one day. Not a current one of the the tortoise right this minute because dug in, and I don’t want to disturb him. image.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Are you putting the thermostat probe down low at tortoise height?

Also, usually we say to put the probe farthest away from any heat source. But that is in a closed chamber. With the open top, if you have the probe at a cold spot, the temp there may never get hot enough to have the probe tell the t'stat to shut off.

Try putting the probe down at tort height, and move it close to where it gets so hot. Watch it for a while and see when it clicks the heat on and clicks it off again. You may just need to find the right spot for it.

I will say I don't understand how a wide open enclosure like that could get so hot. Was it inside the hide? Was the tort laying directly under the CHE?

I'm just not understanding this.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Are you putting the thermostat probe down low at tortoise height?

Also, usually we say to put the probe farthest away from any heat source. But that is in a closed chamber. With the open top, if you have the probe at a cold spot, the temp there may never get hot enough to have the probe tell the t'stat to shut off.

Try putting the probe down at tort height, and move it close to where it gets so hot. Watch it for a while and see when it clicks the heat on and clicks it off again. You may just need to find the right spot for it.

I will say I don't understand how a wide open enclosure like that could get so hot. Was it inside the hide? Was the tort laying directly under the CHE?

I'm just not understanding this.
Thanks for the advice on the probe. It wasn’t right under. I took the temp with my hygrometer right underneath the CHE. I used the gun too.

I was using the 150w bulb that came with the combo linked here. It was too hot. I took my friend’s advice for a 60w.