Desert dwelling tort food question...

Keith D.

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi all, I saw the list y'all have up for desert dwelling species. My question is there are a few things that aren't on that list that I am curious about feeding to Leo. Here they are pumpkin leaves, fig leaves, Bermuda grass and I know this is on the list but is it really safe for them to eat? Bougainvillea? I have been worried about putting up a outdoor pen in my front yard because there are some planted out there. Any advice and guidance would be great. Thanks :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Pumpkin (and other squash) leaves are fine. Fig leaves are edible but the sap can be an irritant.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pumpkin leaves are great. Fig laves, I don't know, but I think not. Bermuda grass is great. I've read that bougainvillea is toxic.

Keith D.

Arizona
Pumpkin leaves are great. Fig laves, I don't know, but I think not. Bermuda grass is great. I've read that bougainvillea is toxic.
I thought they were toxic as well, but we have them on the list as nonpoisonous so I don't know I'm confused lol

Keith D.

Arizona
Also is aru
Also is arugula a good choice, I didntbsee it on the list either lol

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I have been worried about putting up a outdoor pen in my front yard because there are some planted out there. Any advice and guidance would be great. Thanks :)

Front yard? Aren't you afraid someone might steal or harm the tort or some stray or wild animal will kill it? Is your front yard secure? Just worried about your little one, that's all, hope I haven't offended you.

Keith D.

Arizona
Front yard? Aren't you afraid someone might steal or harm the tort or some stray or wild animal will kill it? Is your front yard secure? Just worried about your little one, that's all, hope I haven't offended you.
Hiya Ariza, my yard is very secure and the pen would be far enough in and also secured with a chain link top to keep dogs and such out. Also no one dares come in our yard due to our dogs. No offense taken :) I am also worried about him that is why I am questioning myself to do it lol