Desert tort in AZ newbi w/ questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortuga17

5 Year Member
Hello all! I am the new caretaker of a 6 y/o male sonoran tort. I took him in when the original owner was forced to move because of a family emergency. So he is a temporary guest, 6 months to year. I didn't realize how much fun these guys can be, (so curious!) and am glad I found this forum since I have become obsessed with my new house guest.

My big concern is over a burrow. I have a very safe yard for the fella, but not one where he can really build his own burrow. I have crafted a burrow for him using cinder blocks to make one wall next to where 2 brick walls meet, sand ground and the roof is made of wood. My worry is it's too hot. I have read temperatures above 90 degrees can cause brain damage! I live in Phoenix Az and it's HOT right now. Yes I know I am suppose to put earth on his home to insulate but like I mentioned his arrival was a surprise and it's not permanent. SO, how do i gauge the heat in the shade? I usually trust nature and feel like he will move to a cooler spot if it is to hot in his burrow. He doesnt seem brain damaged? and what about humidity? how do I make some?

Can someone please give me the reality of this situation? Before his burrow he kinda dug himself under a plant, now he does use the burrow.
I really want to be a responsible tortoise owner and thanks in advance for any advice!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tortuga17:

Welcome to the forum!!

Did you place the burrow in the shade of a tree? That's the best place for any kind of tortoise house or hide.

You can also wet down the cinder blocks two or three times during the heat of the day.

Cut some branches and place them on the plywood roof of the burrow or lots of garden trash on top will help to insulate the inside from the heat.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
If you can keep the soil in the burrow a little damp and loose he will probably dig into it more.

The damp dirt will be a lot cooler than just a dry burrow and give him some added options to cool himself.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The 90 degree thing is non-sense, BTW. Many reptiles keep their body temp right around the same as ours during the day by moving in and out of the sun and shade/burrows to thermoregulate themselves. I saw a study on California Mountain kingsnakes where the snakes body temp was 98 degrees on a 72 degree day, because he'd been basking. I've temped my sulcata tortoises backs at 105 when they are out walking around in the sun on a hot day. They have shade and pools, but don't always care to use them. My female often hangs out in the shed where its 120 and in direct sun.

Anyway, on those really hot, triple digit days, I run sprinklers and or hoses several times a day. It rains more in my tortoise pens in the middle of summer than any other time of year.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! Its tough to find updated tort info. Anything shaded or actually underground is awesome, so is running sprinklers or creating a mud hole. They do absolutely fine with very hot temps as long as you can recreate their natural habitat--some sort of underground shelter plus a water source. Do you have a good graze going in the yard for him with chemical free weeds and grasses? Yes, they will thermoregulate (move around to their desired temperature). Tortoises are very addicting. You may find yourself wanting one after you have to give your visitor back. Most people can't stop at one either!

Status
Not open for further replies.