Desert tortoise or Sulcata???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Changminator

5 Year Member
Hello all. This is my first time on this forum and I am glad to see so many loving tortoise owners with such good advices.

Anyways, I have received two tortoises from my friend who can no longer care for them. He told me that they are desert tortoises but after comparing them to some pictures, I feel that they look like Sulcatas as well. What do you guys think?

Also, these tortoises are 3-4 years old. Aren't they supposed to be bigger??

Thank you guys. :tort:

tortoises 2.JPG

tortoises.JPG

Turtle1.JPG

Turtle 2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

I do believe that you have two desert tortoises and not sulcatas..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Desert tortoise, and welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here.

Changminator

5 Year Member
Awesome. thank you guys.
So...do they look a little small to you guys? I'm just a bit concerned because they're about 3-4 years old and yet I feel they're a bit small. Is this something I should worry about?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. I would have thought sulcata too, but when I joined this forum almost a year ago, I have been able to recognize the different species, well some. Enjoy

Changminator

5 Year Member
Thank you guys!
So...do you think these torts are a bit too small? i'm just a bit concerned because they're about 3-4 years old. not sure if i should be worried about them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi changminator:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

No, their size is perfectly fine for desert tortoises of that age. What are your plans for setting them up in a habitat? I'd like to see them be outside, if at all possible.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
Welcome! Hope you enjoy this community of tort lovers as much as I do! Read some articles to get a good idea on an enclosure... preferably an outdoor one :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if your friend had them, do they know the history? where did they come from?
You should get them registered and get your permits to keep them. Also educate yourself to thier care so they do well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't worry about their size. Just learn all you can and give them the best care and diet possible. I have seen CDTs that size at that age before.

Changminator

5 Year Member
Thank you guys for all your answers and advices. :)

I am currently staying in AZ where it has been 100+ degrees everyday this past week. ECK!..although, my torts seem to be enjoying the heat. I am in the process of building them an outdoor enclosure and am getting lots of ideas from what other people have done on this forum.

I am excited to have them and am looking forward to taking care of them for years to come. It is my dream to pass them on to my kids and eventually my grandkids. That'd be awesome.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Even though we call them california desert tortoises, they actually are in several states AZ being one of them, maybe we should start referring them to the gopherous species. I do believe AZ has a one only rule about them though.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Arizona has some strict laws about them as I work with Az game and fish with the deserts and box turtles. You are only allowed to have one desert per household not per person. They are also not allowed to leave the state. I would also suggest you go to the desert museum in Tucson az website and they have an adoption program for deserts but the site gives great info on their care and setting up an outdoor enclosure. It also gives you a wonderful list of natural az plants for them to eat.

Changminator

5 Year Member
Im actually from SoCal and that's where the torts are from tooi. I am just here in AZ for a couple months so I thought I'd bring them with me. never knew there were such strict laws regarding these desert torts. Thanks for informing me...I'll def look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.