Hello from the hot Arizona desert

Leddagger16

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi all. I am new to the world of tortoises and tortoise care but I am learning more each day. I found this forum while researching information about tortoises and it has already helped so much. I received 2 desert tortoises from a family member the other day that were babies from her tortoises. They are about 1 year old.

I did have one question that I couldn't seem to find an answer to. I have their enclosure under a sissoo tree right now and I wanted to know if the leaves of the sissoo trees are poisonous to desert tortoises?

IMG_0292[1].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I don't have an answer for your tree question, but wanted to share some DT info anyway. Most of the websites out there recommend starting these guys WAYYYYYYY too dry. A large percentage of them die because of this and many of the ones that manage to survive a few years end up dying from kidney stones or other dehydration related ailments.

I wrote this thread for russians, but I've started dozens of DT babies using the exact same methods and they all thrive. Hope these help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Something like this is essential for your area:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/
There are many ways to accomplish it, but they need to get underground during the heat of our summer days.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello there and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your tortoises.
I'm afraid I don't know about the sissoo either.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your little babies need a more humid environment than what you're providing for them. Try to give them a humid hiding place. You can put moistened sphagnum moss in their hiding place. Be sure to give them a nice soak for about 15 minutes every day. The sissoo tree isn't harmful to your tortoises.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi all. I am new to the world of tortoises and tortoise care but I am learning more each day. I found this forum while researching information about tortoises and it has already helped so much. I received 2 desert tortoises from a family member the other day that were babies from her tortoises. They are about 1 year old.

I did have one question that I couldn't seem to find an answer to. I have their enclosure under a sissoo tree right now and I wanted to know if the leaves of the sissoo trees are poisonous to desert tortoises?

View attachment 140010

Good looking tortoise....what size are they? Are you housing the pair together?

Leddagger16

Arizona
Good looking tortoise....what size are they? Are you housing the pair together?
Yes I am housing them together for now. Once they get bigger I will separate them. As far as size goes I have not measured them yet. Their shell size is about 2 inches wide by 2 1/2 - 3 inches in length

Leddagger16

Arizona
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your little babies need a more humid environment than what you're providing for them. Try to give them a humid hiding place. You can put moistened sphagnum moss in their hiding place. Be sure to give them a nice soak for about 15 minutes every day. The sissoo tree isn't harmful to your tortoises.
Thank you for the welcoming. The picture doesn't show the full enclosure. They do Have a hiding spot. I moisten half of it down every morning and they will go and hide/burrow themselves in there throughout the day. I have soaked them once so far but they will go sit in their water dish so I figured they were getting enough water. I will make sure to soak them more often. Thank you for the help.