Desert Tortoise Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Very interesting Danny, I just finished watching it. I find it kind of sad though, The poor tortoises, they are going through so much, they do not have it easy. I am glad there are people out there helping them and helping the specie to survive.
Thanks for sharing :)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
O.K. Danny that took forever to download! It must have taken me over an hour to download and watch all of those. Wow was it worth it. :D I got a chance to see where Fernando would live normally if not with me and how he would burrow was amazing. There's not much out there for them to munch on is there? One thing that I need to know though is that one of those videos said that they Desert Tortoise only lives for around 50 years is this correct? :( I thought someone said that they lived nearly 80 years. Fernando is around 30 to 40 years old already now this had got me a little worried about him. I do think that I'd now like to dig him a burrow in the ground just so it makes him feel like he's at home here. ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Danny, this was great. I found it surprisingly balanced given the lot who produced it. Somebody does need to tell them that the whole global warming thing is over and has been exposed as a hoax, however.

The info and footage of CDTs was remarkable. Very well done. The raven thing was very educational to me. I have never seen raven predation of CDTs in person, only heard and read about it. I incorrectly envisioned them grabbing little hatchlings as fast as they came out of the nest. I never knew they could take bigger ones like that. And I didn't know HOW they did it either. I've been chewed on by ravens and I wouldn't have guessed they could get through the shell on ones that big.

I also didn't know that CDTs would lay their eggs down in a burrow like that. I thought they laid in nest dug above ground like other torts.

That map concept is a fantastic tool too. We (humans) can simply do what we need to do out in the desert in areas that aren't likely to be populated by CDTs. Everybody wins.

Thank you very much for posting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.