Desert Tortoises

terra731993

Location (City and/or State)
Inyokern, Ca
Hi everyone. I will be getting two adult desert tortoises from a friend who can no longer give them the time they need. I’ll be spending the next couple of weeks putting an enclosure together for them and would love some pictures for inspiration/ a list of proper foods for them. I live in the Mojave desert so the climate is already made for them. Thank you! Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just fence in the largest area you have space for. Make a solid fence that the tortoises can't see through and make sure it contacts the ground all the way around - if they can see daylight under the fence that's where they'll try to dig out.

If your two new tortoises are male you may end up having to build TWO tortoise yards, as males fight for territory and one of them may end up dead. Two females may get along ok, and as desert tortoises aren't very aggressive breeders, a male female combo might live in one yard ok.

I know. . . I know, you're gonna' say they're getting along ok and have done all this time. But moving them to your house changes the whole dynamic. Trust me, you're going to see different personalities.

terra731993

Inyokern, Ca
Just fence in the largest area you have space for. Make a solid fence that the tortoises can't see through and make sure it contacts the ground all the way around - if they can see daylight under the fence that's where they'll try to dig out.

If your two new tortoises are male you may end up having to build TWO tortoise yards, as males fight for territory and one of them may end up dead. Two females may get along ok, and as desert tortoises aren't very aggressive breeders, a male female combo might live in one yard ok.

I know. . . I know, you're gonna' say they're getting along ok and have done all this time. But moving them to your house changes the whole dynamic. Trust me, you're going to see different personalities.
No, I appreciate the info definitely! I figured we would have to build two enclosures if it came down to it and it’s totally doable. I don’t know the genders quite yet. I’ll be speaking to their owners soon to get all of the details figured out