Deterring dogs from tortoise enclosure?

Avuwyy

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, Merseyside
My neighbour recently bought an Alsatian which they keep outside… Constantly. My worry is that when warmer weather comes there is only a 4ft fence blocking their back garden from my own, and I am doubting any purchasable enclosure will take a biting from an Alsatian if it sees or hears my tortoise rummaging about. I just know that they will complain if I propose that a taller fence is built (Even if I offered to pay for it with my own money), and I think it is horrifically unfair that my own animal can’t go outside because of this dog and the possibility of it launching itself over the fence… (He has already tried to do so and failed because he jumped into a tree). If this were a smaller dog I wouldn’t be so worried about the damage it could cause to an outdoor enclosure, but with a dog so big and heavy it is a major concern.

Is there any way of me deterring this dog from ever entering my garden other than installing a taller fence? I will be planting lavender eventually to try and deter cats, but I’m unsure if this works as a deterrent for dogs.

Alternatively, if anyone can offer some suggestions to build an enclosure completely predator proof? My original thought was to buy a large rabbit run, and bury it a little so the bottom wire is underground to stop the tortoise from digging out or anything digging in. I’m horrible with tools and my anxiety would skyrocket thinking I may have misplaced nails and the enclosure would quickly fall apart.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My neighbour recently bought an Alsatian which they keep outside… Constantly. My worry is that when warmer weather comes there is only a 4ft fence blocking their back garden from my own, and I am doubting any purchasable enclosure will take a biting from an Alsatian if it sees or hears my tortoise rummaging about. I just know that they will complain if I propose that a taller fence is built (Even if I offered to pay for it with my own money), and I think it is horrifically unfair that my own animal can’t go outside because of this dog and the possibility of it launching itself over the fence… (He has already tried to do so and failed because he jumped into a tree). If this were a smaller dog I wouldn’t be so worried about the damage it could cause to an outdoor enclosure, but with a dog so big and heavy it is a major concern.

Is there any way of me deterring this dog from ever entering my garden other than installing a taller fence? I will be planting lavender eventually to try and deter cats, but I’m unsure if this works as a deterrent for dogs.

Alternatively, if anyone can offer some suggestions to build an enclosure completely predator proof? My original thought was to buy a large rabbit run, and bury it a little so the bottom wire is underground to stop the tortoise from digging out or anything digging in. I’m horrible with tools and my anxiety would skyrocket thinking I may have misplaced nails and the enclosure would quickly fall apart.

What species of tortoise? What size?

Buy a large dog kennel or chicken coop. House the tortoise inside it. Over here we have a store called Tractor supply. They make a super cool 8x8 foot "chicken coop" with a peaked roof. I use them for all sort of animals, including tortoises. Use some plywood and make a 12 inch border along the bottom as a visual barrier for the tortoise, and a physical barrier for the dog.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sometimes you can find used kennels on Craigslist.

Reactions: Tom

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I would run a 'hot wire' on top of the fence...are you in some sort of a rental, or home management situation? Or is it his fence?
If it's 'his' fence you hire a fence company to build you a fence simply immediately next to his...or get a motion sensor sprinkler and it sense the dog and squirts him...I know things are different across the ocean...it's a crappy situation and I know how scary it c an be with a tort/dog situation

Reactions: Ink

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
They’re a Leopard tortoise (Babcocki) and 201g last I checked (Three days ago).

Our house is council housing, as is the neighbour’s, so technically it’s neither of our fences, but if I were to pay to get the fence built taller the council couldn’t really say anything against it (But next door could which could then get us in trouble). I could file a complaint that the fence is so small it poses a risk to some of the residents living here, but the people who manage the properties take an absurd amount of time responding to these kinds of complaints, I’d maybe see a taller fence in 2025.

I’ll take a look at chicken coops and dog kennels as per recommendation. Wouldn’t the coop need to be buried a little to avoid something digging in, or a tortoise digging out? I was always under the assumption that was something that needed to be done to safely enclose an animal outdoors. Also, I don’t know why I never thought of a chicken coop instead of a rabbit run. Rabbit runs are so difficult to find in large sizes.

I’ll check out motion sensor sprinklers too. I was under the assumption dogs would actively seek to play in the water and it was best for deterring cats. Obviously my knowledge of dogs is lacking lol.

Thank you for all the responses, this is all really helpful :)

TaylorTortoise

Abington

Is the dog trying to jump over because of the tortoise?

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Is the dog trying to jump over because of the tortoise?
Oh, no not yet, I haven’t put my tortoise out yet this year. It’s attempted to jump over every time we’ve gone out into the back garden, any motion on our side of the yard urges it to attempt to jump over. If it’s not attempting to jump the fence, it’s screaming and barking because it heard something that it can’t get to (The other day it was because of the neighbours cat which was prowling in our yard).