Devastated. Greek tortoise died from a bladder stone. No symptoms shown.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi Tom,

Have any of your tortoise vet friends had a chance to look at the xray? It's ok if not.

Also I wondered if she grew so well from a tiny baby of about 5cm to I would say about 25cm when she died over the 5 years I had her, with no pyramiding, does that mean she was growing too fast. I've seen a lot that where smaller than her at 5 years old.

Also a necropsy wouldn't be viable after 6 days would it? Shame we don't have a lot of exotic vets to perform it around where I am in North West England.

Thanks.
Not yet with the vets.

Definitely not too fast. The old "fast growth" thing is more of that old erroneous info. When fed and housed correctly, there is no such thing as "too fast". If someone is feeding very high protein and keeping the tortoise at high temps all the time to encourage faster growth, then it might be considered too fast. If someone is feeding a good variety of broadleaf weeds and flowers, or properly amended grocery store foods, and housing the tortoise in a suitably large enclosure with the correct temps and humidity for the species, there is no such thing as "growing too fast".

If the tortoise was kept refrigerated soon after death, much can still be learned after 6 days.

Lyd1012

England
Not yet with the vets.

Definitely not too fast. The old "fast growth" thing is more of that old erroneous info. When fed and housed correctly, there is no such thing as "too fast". If someone is feeding very high protein and keeping the tortoise at high temps all the time to encourage faster growth, then it might be considered too fast. If someone is feeding a good variety of broadleaf weeds and flowers, or properly amended grocery store foods, and housing the tortoise in a suitably large enclosure with the correct temps and humidity for the species, there is no such thing as "growing too fast".

If the tortoise was kept refrigerated soon after death, much can still be learned after 6 days.
Thank you.

I also forgot to add how I found her, this may just be decomposition becuase she probably died hours before I found her after work. But she was super puffed up, swollen and bloated.

berrybon

indonesia
Thank you.

I also forgot to add how I found her, this may just be decomposition becuase she probably died hours before I found her after work. But she was super puffed up, swollen and bloated.
Oh no. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I do get your point, some people provide lesser care to their torts, yet theirs live longer. My friend's sulcata died due to MBD despite the great care. Yet, I saw someone on YT put their sulcata outdoor, only gave him water spinach every day, no heat, no lights whatsoever, and it lives longer. I've been hesitant to care for one for years since I couldn't think I could handle losing them. My heart aches for you. I believe he/she must have the best 6 years within your care!