Dewey bobs her head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssydney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
So I'm a little worried about Dewey. She has been pressing her face really hard against the walls in her house, and she has been doing this since I got her, but she bobs her head. Is this ok? And seriously, she WON'T get out from under her light. Should I take her outside? I let her walk around my house during the summer only because it's too hot outside in Arizona to bring her out. It's 116 out right now! Anyways, thanks for the help.

Love,
Sydney and Dewey

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Head bobbing can mean several things, stress, dominance display or mating display ( unlikely since it is a single tortoise) fear. What type of tortoise is it?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Redfoots bob theirs heads that's o.k. and you're right at 116 it's too hot. How do you have her enclosure set up? Redfoots like humidity and if they can see out they will try to get out. That might be why she is pushing against the enclosure. :) Wow, how is your pug taking that heat? :(

ssydney

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Terry Allan Hall said:
What sort iof tortoise is Dewey?

Dewey is a RedFoot

dmmj said:
Head bobbing can man several things, stress, dominance display or mating display ( unlikely since it is a single tortoise) fear. What type of tortoise is it?

She is a RedFoot. And I don't see why she may be stressed. And yes, she is a single turtle.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Head bobbing- Head bobbing can be a display issue- attracting a mate or signalling a foe, or part of the natural breathing process. When a tortoise inflates its neck, it is smelling things around it. When it breathes, it moves its limbs in and out of the shell. We often see bobbing and scenting occurring together.

Staying in the warmer area usually indicates that it feels cold. We generally discourage house roaming since we humans usually don't keep our homes at temps and humidities tortoises would appreciate (among other reasons).

If your outdoor pen has cooling features- mud wallow, good water pool, tall live plants, misting area, etc. then it is probably safe out there. Try to shoot some temps from various places around the habitat and see what the microclimates are like.

ssydney

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Candy said:
Redfoots bob theirs heads that's o.k. and you're right at 116 it's too hot. How do you have her enclosure set up? Redfoots like humidity and if they can see out they will try to get out. That might be why she is pushing against the enclosure. :) Wow, how is your pug taking that heat? :(

Yea, it's very hot:( Her enclosure is set up where I have half of it covered and the walls have that fogged texture where it is hard to see in. And for my pug? He still runs around outside like a maniac:) Crazy, I tell you! Hahaha

Madkins007 said:
Head bobbing- Head bobbing can be a display issue- attracting a mate or signalling a foe, or part of the natural breathing process. When a tortoise inflates its neck, it is smelling things around it. When it breathes, it moves its limbs in and out of the shell. We often see bobbing and scenting occurring together.

Staying in the warmer area usually indicates that it feels cold. We generally discourage house roaming since we humans usually don't keep our homes at temps and humidities tortoises would appreciate (among other reasons).

If your outdoor pen has cooling features- mud wallow, good water pool, tall live plants, misting area, etc. then it is probably safe out there. Try to shoot some temps from various places around the habitat and see what the microclimates are like.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. And Dewey isn't in her outdoor enclosure yet, because I'm working on it. I've been really busy lately though so it might be a while:( But I'm sure it will have cooled down by the time it is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.