Dexter's Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zergy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Valrico, FL
I have been growing a few plants before I got Dexter, but most of those have been eaten now. I am working on a better system than what I had previously done.

I went to lowes and bought what they called the Patio Planter, which seems like an Earthbox knock off for $30. Of course I didn't follow all their instructions since my thought was to use it like a large pot, but better. It has the surface area I needed.

2012-03-14_15-31-37_360.jpg

2012-03-14_15-31-55_502.jpg

In one box I have planted 3 rows on Sunday. One for collard greens, one for mesclun mix, and one for chicory/endive. The second box I will plant later this week with dandelion, plantain, and lamb's lettuce.

2012-03-14_15-32-32_729.jpg

I also purchased 3 spineless prickly pear pads and planted 2 of them almost a month ago. It does now have roots, but no new growth yet.

2012-03-14_15-34-50_273.jpg

And the flowers I am growing separately indoors. The ones in pots are Rose of Sharon and Viola. The ones in the tray are Rose of Sharon (2 colors) and Pot Marigold (which just started sprouting).

I will be planting a few other plants for my tortoise Dexter. I can't wait for these plants to be big enough to produce food and decoration for him.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looking so very very good!! Are you going to give him the Rose of Sharon as little plants to eat or let them become bushes?

Zergy

5 Year Member
Valrico, FL
Jacqui said:
Looking so very very good!! Are you going to give him the Rose of Sharon as little plants to eat or let them become bushes?

My plan right now is to grow them up as a plant first. If I get a few good seedlings, then I can use the remaining seeds as food.

Zergy

5 Year Member
Valrico, FL
Here is an update. It has been a week since I seeded.

2012-03-18_14-46-59_25.jpg

2012-03-18_14-47-20_674.jpg

Still not ready to start harvesting.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Can Russian Torts eat Rose of Sharon? If so, I'm set! I have way too many of them in my yard.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tyrtle said:
Can Russian Torts eat Rose of Sharon? If so, I'm set! I have way too many of them in my yard.

Yes they can, both the leaves and the booms.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Jacqui said:
Tyrtle said:

Yes they can, both the leaves and the booms.

Thanks, Jacqui. I guess I should have realized they could as Rose of Sharons are related to hibiscus. Now I can't wait for them to leaf-out and bloom.

Zergy

5 Year Member
Valrico, FL
Dexter doesn't seem to like hibiscus leaves. And I think the flowers are too big for him right now so he doesn't touch them.

If he doesn't like hibiscus, will he not like Rose of Sharon either? Or maybe it will help him 'acquire' a taste for it if he eats young plants to start?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I'm jealous of those of you with Rose of Sharon bushes! The family I nanny for has a huge one in their yard, but they spray it so I can't offer it to Nelson. Bummer.
Dexter is a lucky tort!! I really need to plant some seeds this year!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Zergy said:
Dexter doesn't seem to like hibiscus leaves. And I think the flowers are too big for him right now so he doesn't touch them.

If he doesn't like hibiscus, will he not like Rose of Sharon either? Or maybe it will help him 'acquire' a taste for it if he eats young plants to start?

Not necessarily, I have some who won't touch one or the other and plus some even pickier about what color bloom your feeding them. Also I think for many it is more a learned taste, so just keeping trying him on them. Try ripping one up and mixing it within his normal food that he does like.

Zergy

5 Year Member
Valrico, FL
Hm, I guess I will have to see what he thinks of the Rose of Sharon. I will try chopping some regular hibiscus in his food in very tiny quantities to see how he likes that.

I do know he loves the blooms for zucchini and squash. Those are devoured. And he loves strawberries. He readily eats collards, plantain, and chicory.

Status
Not open for further replies.