Diamondback Hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
My family and I were at our Aunt and Uncle's this weekend down at the shore (NJ). Each year at this time the Diamondbacks start to hatch and the kids and I have fun looking around the yard for them. The females come up on the beach (boat slip) in late May and make their nests. Then every Labor Day weekend we get to collect them. We put them in a container so that they can be released at night. Otherwise the seagulls have a hayday. The patterns on their shells are amazing. It is a nice treat every year. Last year they found 150. So far between Friday and Saturday, we found 20. I am sure there will be lots more.
diamondbacks.jpg

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Cool. Have you ever kept any?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
No, I have not. Not an aquatic turtle enthusiast. Enjoy catching them and watching them but that is about it. It is really cool that they are so small. You can see their yolk sacs and little egg tooth.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Dee, what fun you all must have, it must be like an easter egg hunt for you all. Except these move ;) :p

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
Very cool! im glad you share this with your children, and you make this fun activity into a wonderful conservation project. i wish i could do it!!!!!!

Wayne

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
It is lots of fun! I have always been a treasure hunter - always looking for cool things. My one son also then piles up the open shells to see how big it gets. There were lots of shells so hopefully many of them made it to the water. And Robyn, they do scoot around pretty darn quick! I am always surprised how fast and strong they are.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What fun! I think they are probably the most beautiful of all hatchlings. Each one so different. I was lucky once to get to start up a trio that had been hatched from eggs gathered from a road killed female. That was a thrill for me. but what your getting to do sounds much more exciting. What a great way for the family to spend a few days together.

Status
Not open for further replies.