Did we do something wrong? (Now updated)

NSH

10 Year Member!
I hate to be the one to say it, but now that you have a pair, they need to be separated. While tortoises often do fine in groups because the stress is spread out and they are able to establish a pecking order, in pairs, there is always a dominant and a subordinate, and neither can escape. One is constantly being bullied, and the other can’t get the intruder out of it’s territory.

You could possibly add more in more tortoises to fix it, but they would all have to be separated during the quarantine period, and they would all have to be similar sizes.

Well avared of this. They come from same source, from two clutches and will keep them together until i see that one is dominating other or new ones come in. This should be realized in a month and yes sure they will be separated.
Plus we woork from home so they are allways on watch

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Well avared of this. They come from same source, from two clutches and will keep them together until i see that one is dominating other or new ones come in. This should be realized in a month and yes sure they will be separated.
Plus we woork from home so they are allways on watch

Please just keep in mind that aggression is rarely obvious. It comes in the form of things that look like affection, like “cuddling”, “following”, sharing a hide when more are available, sitting on food, sitting face to face, climbing on each other, and really just being together in general. These are all one tortoise trying to push, chase, and stress the other out of it’s territory. With aggression, you often find tortoise pairs with much tortoise larger than the other and growing at a faster rate.

NSH

10 Year Member!
Please just keep in mind that aggression is rarely obvious. It comes in the form of things that look like affection, like “cuddling”, “following”, sharing a hide when more are available, sitting on food, sitting face to face, climbing on each other, and really just being together in general. These are all one tortoise trying to push, chase, and stress the other out of it’s territory. With aggression, you often find tortoise pairs with much tortoise larger than the other and growing at a faster rate.
Believe me im not so stupid, we work with reptiles for past 12 years. Also we have male sulcata for 6+ years raised with help of this forum and now he is 30+ kg beast with smooth shell
I totally get why you wright this, nowdays on fb groups you can see soo much stupidity that i dont know should i laugh or cry

NSH

10 Year Member!
Last few weeks they are growing like a weed, today they both are above 52gramms, this photo on scale is before 2 weeks. So glad that they pulled trough.

Attachments

• IMG_20190308_065453.jpg
    IMG_20190308_065453.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20190308_065512.jpg
    IMG_20190308_065512.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15

NSH

10 Year Member!
Also this is fresh picture of all 4, breeder did replaced lost one and add one extra. They were checked by a vet and were in isolation until we have seen that all was good. Now they are all together and all eating like crazy.

IMG_20190311_082343.jpg IMG_20190311_082349.jpg IMG_20190311_082411.jpg