Dieeeeeeeet!

Devinh

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I need help, every where including the vet says feed them grass hay flowers etc, but what do I feed them specifically? Everytime i think about feeding them something someone says dont feed them that. Do i cut grass and feed them that?? They are outside but when i bring them in for storms or cold weather they dont have access to extra grasses. What does everyone feed their sulcata specifically??

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I see some folks have used metaphysical knowledge and figure you have a sulcata, but I don't see that in this thread, and I figure if you want answers to your question you ought saddle-up and ask the question referencing which species, how old, indoor or outdoor etc.

Otherwise the go to answer, which I don't agree with, is feed them Mazuri. If you just ask what is Mazuri(?), I'll figure you don't know how to search here or on google.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see some folks have used metaphysical knowledge and figure you have a sulcata, but I don't see that in this thread, and I figure if you want answers to your question you ought saddle-up and ask the question referencing which species, how old, indoor or outdoor etc.

Otherwise the go to answer, which I don't agree with, is feed them Mazuri. If you just ask what is Mazuri(?), I'll figure you don't know how to search here or on google.
I made this same mistake and almost asked him to I.D. which species, then I re-read the first post and in his last sentence he says it's a sulcata.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I made this same mistake and almost asked him to I.D. which species, then I re-read the first post and in his last sentence he says it's a sulcata.
Bang, I'm dead.

The frustration of what to feed overtook the who was being fed. In that, most feel that frustration.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I totally missed it too until I read your post. Weird. Something in the way its worded makes people skim over the very last sentence...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I need help, every where including the vet says feed them grass hay flowers etc, but what do I feed them specifically? Everytime i think about feeding them something someone says dont feed them that. Do i cut grass and feed them that?? They are outside but when i bring them in for storms or cold weather they dont have access to extra grasses. What does everyone feed their sulcata specifically??
Hello and welcome to the forum!

This should help: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
A baby Sulcata won't eat grass. Find out what the breeder fed it and try that. I feed my Sulcata grape leaves, Rose of Sharon blooms and leafs, rose petals, squash, dandelions. I go to the local feed store and buy a bale of locally grown grass hay ($6) I feed more than that but it's just a sample for you. Then I take all that stuff I just went and gathered,cut it up and mix different lettuces with them. And feed that for breakfast, the rest of the day they graze on the grass in their pens or they graze on hay. You can buy 1/4 bale or take a bag and offer them $3 for the stuff on the ground.
Cut some real soft fresh hay, mix the other stuff with it and sprinkle some warm water over it for the babies, a good meal.
Gonna go watch my NASCAR race.....HTH

Devinh

Maryland
Bang, I'm dead.

The frustration of what to feed overtook the who was being fed. In that, most feel that frustration.
I was frustrated because they eat what ever I give them haha the problem was getting the right stuff. I started a mini garden to grow things for them awhile ago bc I'm not sure if you can buy certain grasses . I haven't tried any commercial pellets , again everyone says omg they are very bad for them, then the vet says feed them the commercial stuff on the side so they get everything they need. Its definitely irritating.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings....

Try to upload a pix of your Sullys and enclosure so Ppl here can assist in many ways. The care and what to feed info that has been previously posted above provides a ton of edibles. It’s still basically grass and weed growing season here in Md now so you should be able to easily find much in your garden, lawn, etc (pesticide and fertilizer free). Rose of Sharon and wild hibiscus are starting to end, but your Sully will find the plant leaves very tasty. Get a bag of old school Mazuri and offer that too. So, chopped up grass, dandelion greens, rose of sharon, grape leaves, plantain all good. Augment some with grocery greens from @Tom ’s list.

Good Luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was frustrated because they eat what ever I give them haha the problem was getting the right stuff. I started a mini garden to grow things for them awhile ago bc I'm not sure if you can buy certain grasses . I haven't tried any commercial pellets , again everyone says omg they are very bad for them, then the vet says feed them the commercial stuff on the side so they get everything they need. Its definitely irritating.
Sounds like you found a decent vet. absolutely correct. Feed a high fiber, grassy, weedy, leafy, "natural" diet, but supplement with some Mazuri and ZooMed Grassland pellets once in a while to ensure balanced nutrition.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I totally missed it too until I read your post. Weird. Something in the way its worded makes people skim over the very last sentence...
The author is a natural writer. He knows how to build up the suspense. Understanding and appreciating good writing is in itself a rare gift. Welcome to the site, Devin! You came to a good place. I have never regretted joining! Great folks here with tons of experience and knowledge.

Devinh

Maryland
The author is a natural writer. He knows how to build up the suspense. Understanding and appreciating good writing is in itself a rare gift. Welcome to the site, Devin! You came to a good place. I have never regretted joining! Great folks here with tons of experience and knowledge.
Seems a bit harsh at times but thanks!