diet for sulcata/other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperjamila

5 Year Member
i have a baby sulcata and its diet consists of the same things everyday:

grassland tortoise mix, timothy hay, orchard grass, bermuda grass, and red leaf lettuce/red dandelions...

i was wondering if there was something i could buy/find at a henry's or whole foods as an alternative to red lead lettuce and dandelion?
ive tried mustard greens. anything else?? also, where do i find seeds to grow that are safe for my tortoise home depot? armstrong flowers?

other questions:
-is it ok when he eats his mouth is blackish green? should i clean it?
-his head is crusty, i soak him 2-3 tiems a week, and im positively sure its because of dehydration but was wondering if there was anything else i could do to help him. he has a bowl in his enclosure but he never uses it, anything else?

any help would be much appreciated
thanks a bunch :)

paperjamila

5 Year Member
ok i read the site i was given about sulcatas and leopards and it proved to be helpful :]
but i was STILL wondering about seeds, if any are ok to buy or do i need to buy seeds from a certain store....

and the two last questions as well :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Welcome, READ READ READ this thread. Its full of all sorts of info. Get some Spring Mix at the grocery store. its salad. baby greens. great for humans too! moisten it and sprinkle it with vitamins and calcium. no need to clean the mouth. .
you will need heat, light, and moisture. describe your enclosure. also they grow fast and will need a permanent outdoor area soon. heated.
most of all HAVE FUN!

I bought pasture grass seed from my local nursery and spread it around. you can plant different lettuce types as well.

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
I get my seeds from carolina pet supply , I have tried their grazing tort mix and just ordered their broadleaf mix. http://www.carolinapetsupply.com

I would try soaking him more often, especially if he's looking dry. I soak my baby every day for about 10-15 minutes. I would also recommend making sure that you are using a substrate you can moisten. Babies need humidity :) Hopefully that will help with his crusty head.

Don't worry about his mouth, it's normal. I imagine if you tried to clean it it would just happen again after the next time he ate.

Enjoy your baby! (Love his name btw)

M

Maggie Cummings

It's very obvious now that his mouth is blackish because he is eating his poop. Just like I said in another thread. New babies and yearlings eat their poop.

paperjamila

5 Year Member
thank you everyone!

and his enclosure has a heat lamp and powersun ..its big! for him...for now :D

and he has sand and eco earth mixture...how do i dampen it..spray bottle?

again, thank you evryone!
and say hi to all your toroises for me and bulbasaur :]

thank you everyone!

and his enclosure has a heat lamp and powersun ..its big! for him...for now :D

and he has sand and eco earth mixture...how do i dampen it..spray bottle?

again, thank you everyone!
and say hi to all your tortoises for me and bulbasaur :]

paperjamila

5 Year Member
paperjamila said:
i have a baby sulcata and its diet consists of the same things everyday:

grassland tortoise mix, timothy hay, orchard grass, bermuda grass, and red leaf lettuce/red dandelions...

i was wondering if there was something i could buy/find at a henry's or whole foods as an alternative to red lead lettuce and dandelion?
ive tried mustard greens. anything else?? also, where do i find seeds to grow that are safe for my tortoise home depot? armstrong flowers?

other questions:
-is it ok when he eats his mouth is blackish green? should i clean it?
-his head is crusty, i soak him 2-3 tiems a week, and im positively sure its because of dehydration but was wondering if there was anything else i could do to help him. he has a bowl in his enclosure but he never uses it, anything else?

any help would be much appreciated
thanks a bunch :)

---------

so i bought the spring mix and took out teh spinach. was wondering if there was anything else i should take out?

picky little guy wont eat the red leaf looking lettuce in there.
:/

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
My 5 yr old Ralph won't eat the red leaf lettuce in the spring mix either.

Status
Not open for further replies.