new sulcata diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
ive been trying to change my sulcatas diet which is mostly endive and escarole, romaine lettuce. i bought for them alfalfa and orchard grass. how should i prepare them the alfalfa and orchard grass? should i wet the grass and mix it with the lettuce? let me know what everyone else does

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Alfalfa has too much protein for the tortoise. The orchard grass (I presume you mean hay) can either be tossed in like it comes from the bale, or cut up into small pieces, or put through the coffee grinder. You can also moisten it to refresh it and sprinkle it over the greens.

Yvonne

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah well i got a bag of it at a tractor supply store for 5$. i cut it up really good, and gave it to my sulcatas, i mixed a lil romaine lettuce i cut up with it and he didnt seem interested lol i always usually give him greens like endive and romaine all the time and im trying to get him more use to eating grasses. is there any way i can get him more interested?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Mine dont eat the dry hay, they like to graze and pick it them selves. if I sprinkle it over the 'good' stuff they will 'accidently' eat the dry hay, but prefer fresh. Keep trying, they will have no choice and eat it eventually, but tough love is what is needed. We spoil them too much and worry if they dont eat for two days. In the wild they go without or with very little all the time.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have the same problem feeding salad style hay so i just continue to put it on top of the spring mix until they eat it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.