Diet Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenkins2728

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I have been trying to feed my torts a varied diet, but they are picky. They barely touch the mixed tortoise food even when I wet it down. They will eat up every crumb of spring mix lettuce. They also have been eating the calcium turtlebone alot. I have bought the vitamin spray and I spray it on their food. I do not know what else to try. They seem fine. Im picking up grass hay today. I was going to moisten that.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
babies wont eat hay.. what do yo mean by mixed tortoise food?
If they are eating spring mix and cuttlebone.. that is good.
do they eat the spring mix with the vitamin spray on it?
If you want to add variety.. try differnt dark salad greens, a piece of butternut squash and pumpkin, and maybe some shredded carrot.

jenkins2728

5 Year Member
Indiana
Right now, I have ZooMed grassland tortoise food. I am using it until its gone before I buy Mazuri food. I will definitely try the carrots. I spray the vitamin spray on the spring mix. I just didnt kno the lettuce n cuttlebone was enough.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
there are several threads that have a extensive list of things to try.. weeds, grocery greens etc. the carrot should be small amounts and not every day.. and of course Very limited fruit treats.. best if not getting them used to that.. its lke candy.
Can you pick grass or weeds for them? For the hay, you can cut it up in tiny pieces with scissors, and put in a bag, then put wet lettuce in the bag and shake it, that way they start getting a taste for it.

moswen

5 Year Member
well, they like the salad lettuces, they taste better! but, you have to practice tough love with new tortoise diet, they're very stubborn. but they won't starve! just keep offering the good stuff and they'll eventually give in. that's good that they are eating the cuttlebone!

you might as well give up on the grassland, my babies never ate it either. they love their mazuri though!

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Red Yams are great as well and offer a long shelf life. Yams would be part of their natural diet. I have not used any premade foods, you will find multible feelings on those.

Status
Not open for further replies.