Diet Schedule

DrSkyentist

Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone could please share their Sulcata weekly feeding schedule. I'm not looking for specifics but general ideas. I'm kinda loosing my mind on getting the right portions of everything. Also if I feed a high calcium food like bok choy or collard greens twice a week do I still need to give powdered calcium supplements?

Dax is about a month old

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You are way over thinking this. Just feed a wide variety of grasses, weeds, leaves and succulents and skip the grocery store foods altogether. Sprinkle a little calcium on the food pile twice a week and offer a cuttlebone, even if he doesn't touch it for months, and you should be good to go. Here is a list of suggested foods that are free and easy:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
My sulcata is an adult, so she just eats out of the yard. I will occasional give a flowers as a treat, maybe a piece of lettuce, but that's it :)

DrSkyentist

You are way over thinking this. Just feed a wide variety of grasses, weeds, leaves and succulents and skip the grocery store foods altogether. Sprinkle a little calcium on the food pile twice a week and offer a cuttlebone, even if he doesn't touch it for months, and you should be good to go. Here is a list of suggested foods that are free and easy:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Thanks for the advice, so I have grass and hay always available so she can graze and about 4 days a week she gets some leafy greens, and once a week she'll get a fruit of some sort. Twice a week I put a scoop of calcium powder in a small spray bottle and spray her food with it so that it gets an even distribution of powder. And twice a month I do the same with multivitamin. Sound good?

I'm just really anal about having some sort of timeline to work with lol...

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I did the same thing a first, had a schedule wrote out and everything :) once you get in the swing of things it becomes much easier ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the advice, so I have grass and hay always available so she can graze and about 4 days a week she gets some leafy greens, and once a week she'll get a fruit of some sort. Twice a week I put a scoop of calcium powder in a small spray bottle and spray her food with it so that it gets an even distribution of powder. And twice a month I do the same with multivitamin. Sound good?

I answered this in your other post. Here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bedding-hay-vs-bed-a-beast.98428/

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

I'm just really anal about having some sort of timeline to work with lol...

Don't dilute the calcium powder...sprinkle it on the greens. And, skip the fruit! Not at all good for them.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California