Diet

Timn8er

Hello my name is Tim I have a 6 to 7 year old Russian tortoise and I feed him a steady diet of plantains ,the leafy plant not the banana, along with kale green and red leaf lettuce and was wondering if I shout feed him any thing else. Any help is much appreciated thank you

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello my name is Tim I have a 6 to 7 year old Russian tortoise and I feed him a steady diet of plantains ,the leafy plant not the banana, along with kale green and red leaf lettuce and was wondering if I shout feed him any thing else. Any help is much appreciated thank you
Hello Tim

Whereabouts in the world do you live? We may be able to recommend foods easily available locally to you.

Have you read the TFO guides to Russian Care? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Your tortoise's diet is a variety of leafy greens and the three you provide isn't sufficient variety. I'll post a list of plants to look out for next.

Can we see pictures of your tortoise? We love pictures and would be happy to recommend and changes to the enclosure or lighting that might help.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a list of suitable greens

Look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database if you're not sure what they look like.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

You can also use The Tortoise Table to look up plants that you know you have around you for suitability;)

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Timn8er

Thank you so much this help is much appreciated. To answer the question I live in Alabama

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Tim.

You should be feeding your tortoise as much variety as possible and practical. I use different things at different times of the year. The plantain is a good one, but kale and lettuce should only be a very small percentage of the diet if you even need to use it at all. There are lots and lots of better things to feed them that are free.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tim, and welcome to the Forum!

You're on the right track with the plantain, but there are many more edible weeds out there for you to find. Here in California the filaree is just starting to sprout. It is very nutritious. And because it is such an obnoxious weed, you can probably find plenty of mallow to feed him. Any of the weeds that go to seed like dandelion are edible (hawksbeard, sow thistle, etc).

My sister takes a plastic grocery bag and a pair of scissors and goes through the vacant lot near her property cutting tortoise food. If you decide to do this make sure its a clean area that hasn't been sprayed with weed killer or pesticide.

Timn8er

It's getting cold where I live and much of these wild weeds are starting to die is there anything else I can feed. I've read collards are a good food.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Look at the lists that Joe's mum and I posted for you.
There must be something you can find.
Collard greens are fine for your torts in small quantities but I think it's another name for kale which you are already feeding
Yvonne likes them, too.
If you want to check whether a plant is safe try http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/search_7.asp?issearch=true
for at least a general idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's getting cold where I live and much of these wild weeds are starting to die is there anything else I can feed. I've read collards are a good food.

The good edible weeds grow best in winter. Be patient and you'll see an abundant supply.

When I buy groceries, I buy turnip greens, endive, escarole, radicchio, romaine, kale, collards, among others.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And because it is such an obnoxious weed, you can probably find plenty of mallow to feed him.

Obnoxious? OBNOXIOUS???

Ouch. That hurts. Its like you just insulted my kid or something… I LOVE my mallow. I go to great lengths to spread it, propagate it, keep it watered and cared for. In return I am rewarded with tons of good tortoise food.

Where has the warmth and kindness gone…

:p

Timn8er

Now that I've looked at pictures I see mallow everywhere. p.s. I don't think it's obnoxious

Votty

I have a Russian and in his enclosure Ive planted, in young shoot form

Red lettuce
Cos lettuce
Radish
Rainbow chard
lambs lettuce
carrot
Nasturtuim
Mizuna
Viola

He loves them all apart from the carrot tops which became a mattress for him instead and he can take or leave the Viola

He also has

Lavender, didn't eat it so removed
Marjoram, didn't eat it so removed
Appple mint, nibbled once then it became a mattress
Larger Nesturtium which he loves
Aloe Vera which he LOVES
Some sort of mossy plant with white flowers which he nibbles
A little cactus that I had to burn the spikes off before planting that he nibbles occasionally
Antirrhinum, 5 inch shoots, no flowers yet, he has shown zero interest in this so far

He has a few other plants in pots that have not made it to planting yet

Campanula
Ovata
English Heather

Ive sprinkled dandelion seeds across part of his enclosure and watered them in but so far no growth, gutted

I found them all listed on various safe Russian tortoise food lists. Ive tried the planting seeds but its just far easier to buy the plugs and plant little random gardens of mixed foods around and about.

If out and about I cut dandelion leaves and sticky weed plus chickweed if I come across them. I'm hunting about at the moment for some dead nettle, Ive seen it, I just cant remember where

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Hi Votty,

This is a great plant list. Are you hoping for some feedback on it? If so, it would be better to create a new thread of your own.

By responding to this 2016 post by Timn8er, you've created a "zombie" thread and it won't get the same response as to a brand new thread of your own. :)

Votty

Hi Votty,

This is a great plant list. Are you hoping for some feedback on it? If so, it would be better to create a new thread of your own.

By responding to this 2016 post by Timn8er, you've created a "zombie" thread and it won't get the same response as to a brand new thread of your own. :)
Hi, okay thankyou for the tip, I was just generally joining in with a thread I thought lol