Diet

Tortoise310

Location (City and/or State)
California
How much should I be feeding my 15lb tortoise? I currently feed him around 20 hibiscus leaves , and a strip of romaine lettuce, and sometimes I give a piece a watermelon or cut up the small tomatoes in half. Is this a sufficient diet ?

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
How much should I be feeding my 15lb tortoise? I currently feed him around 20 hibiscus leaves , and a strip of romaine lettuce, and sometimes I give a piece a watermelon or cut up the small tomatoes in half. Is this a sufficient diet ?
Welcome to the forum! What species of tortoise are we talking here?
Either way the diet needs to be much more varied. Many safe weeds from your back yard (pesticide free) broadleaf plantain, dandelion leaves and flowers, rose of sharon leaves and flowers, evening primrose, clovers, mulberry leaves, chickweed, violet leaves and flowers , grape leaves to name a few.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! It would be helpful to know tortoise species if you don’t mind?🙂

More variety is definitely needed, perhaps this website below might be useful to look through? You could buy your own seeds online and grow stuff in organic soil(no fertiliser or added chemicals)in a planter the tortoise can’t reach, you can forage from them as they grow😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises are grazers and should be able to eat as much as they want of the right foods, all day every day. A 15 pound tortoise can eat 3 whole heads of romaine.

Once we know what species we are talking about, we can make better diet suggestions for you.