difference between gopherus agassizii and berlandieri

Status
Not open for further replies.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mexico
Ok, I have been having a hard time myself trying to find the differences between gopherus berlandieri and gopherus agassizii.
I've been looking all over the web, and I could find some information, but everything seems to be in cientific terms...
The more I read, the more confused I get...
Especially when I start doubting about my tortoises species...
Could anyone pleeeeease help me out?
I dont know why It took me too long to make this question in here, instead of having such a hard time these last days... :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(shelly)John:

Its "nuchal" scute. If you look at the diagram GB gave the link to you'll see an empty space in the shape of a "V" right above the Texas's head. While on the desert tortoises shell, that space is filled in with the nuchal scute.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, the Texas torts tend to be a little smaller and darker as adults. Texas torts also have much more of a tendency to pyramid. So, if I saw an adult, 8", dark, pyramided gopherus sp., I'd usually guess berlandieri...

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Tom said:
Also, the Texas torts tend to be a little smaller and darker as adults. Texas torts also have much more of a tendency to pyramid. So, if I saw an adult, 8", dark, pyramided gopherus sp., I'd usually guess berlandieri...

That absolutely, totally describes a tort I rescued a month ago. He's in my garage right now hibernating. I don't want to disturb him to check out his shell, but I'm very tempted to see if he has that "nuchal scute".

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
oooohhhhhh!!
Finally, I will be able to sleep well tonight hahaha xD
yup, no doubt at all anymore... all my babies are gopherus agassizii :D

here is a picture of one of my female agassizii followed by berlandieri tortoises of a friend of mine.... xD
You can really tell the difference with the nuchal scute.
Thanks everyone for the help!

gopherus agassizii:
agassizzi.jpg

gopherus berlandieri:
berlandieri.jpg

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
im not sure if the Texas tortoises are same as gopherus berlandieri...
I got this pictures from a friend, that has a permit that allows him to keep, reproduce and sell gopherus berlandieri.
He has like over 20 of these lovely creatures
I will try to upload some more pictures

here:

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
leafeater said:
wait.. what? Im so lost. You cant sell those in the states legally. Are you out of the country?

yup, Im from Mexico.
fortunally This friend has a permit to do that, and he does it the right way, and he cares a lot for his tortoises.

I wish I could get a permit for agassizii... Im trying to get one, but it seems that its kind of harder.
But still, I will give it a try

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Holy Cow! What a lucky friend. I counted 22 in the one pic. I sure wish he could legally sell those babies up here. Thanks for sharing those pics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shelly said:
OK, now how are these 2 varieties different from the polyphemus variety??

Or the Bolson's?

I haven't been able to find a nice sketch like this one in this thread for the two mentioned, that included the polyphemus or bolson's. I know that the Bolson's gets way bigger, but that's about it. Where's Danny when we need him?

http://blogs.sandiegozoo.org/2010/01/15/a-desert-tortoise-isn’t-just-any-old-tortoise/

And then there's this one that's pretty dry and a bit hard to understand: http://www.csub.edu/~dgermano/ShellMorphNAmTort.pdf

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Bolson's? What's that? Never heard of that one before..

***edit***** Nevermind... should have clicked the link first...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's the most rare Gopherus. I think its "flavomarginatus" or somthing like that. Its found in Mexico.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I saw Taxas Desert Tortoise Hatchlings for sale on Kingsnake a couple years back.. they were going for $500??? I am not joking..

leafeater said:
wait.. what? Im so lost. You cant sell those in the states legally. Are you out of the country?
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/txtort/

Seeing all of them together they do look like berlandieri

I will say, that where ever your friend lives.. I want to see his compound.. off the record. hah.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
Ive been searching around and I found out that the genus gopherus embodies two separate species complexes... berlandieri and gopherus agassizzi are in the agassizii group.
The other one its the polyphermus group, wich has Gopherus polyphermus and Gopherus flavomarginatus..

I searched around the internet to read more about flavomarginatus, and found out that they are from north of mexico... (Chihuahua State), wich is located under Texas...
I dont really know anything about them, but it seems that they are the biggest ones... People calls them “la tortuga grande del desierto“, wich means the big tortoise from the desert...

hmm.. as far as i know, animals of the same genus can interbreed...
I wonder if their offspring would be sterile...
does anyone know this?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep three Texas torts - one of them might be a mix. Here is a pic of my male - he was in the shade so it's not the best pic, but the only one I could find right now. Mine all have darker eyes than any of my desert tortoises.

Attachments

• Molasses 3 (Medium).jpg
    Molasses 3 (Medium).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 34

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I will have to do something on the differences of all 4 Gopherus species. :D
Actually Texas tortoises are legal to sell here in the states as long as they don't come from Texas or California.

Danny

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Here are some pictures from my other thread, of what is apparently my new Desert/Texas hybrid.
alley.jpg

Is the big nose part of the Texas thing as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.