differences in personalities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I have a 1.5 year old gulf coast box turtle. Four weeks ago I adopted a baby three toed box turtle. S/he is now 8 months old. In the past few weeks as I've gotten to know Peanut (3 toed) it is amazing to me the complete difference in personalities between my gulf coast and my three toed. For those who keep more than one subspecies of boxie, do you notice differences in personalities between them?

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
although im in the works of getting a few gulf coasts, i currently have TTBT and OBT the ornate is FAST and when shes ready to go shes going 100% :p where as the ttbt are a bit more chill and relaxed :)

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I too have ttbt's and an Ornate. I have noticed that my ttbt are more laid back and prefer to bask and bury in the dirt and lounge in their water, with the exception of my youngest who is more like a toddler right now, and likes to nosedive and victory roll off his log. My ornate on the other hand..is a busy body!..ALWAYS in and out making a mess of the enclosure...walking thru the food dragging it around, pulling the plants out and trying to move the water dish by digging under it and tipping it. idk about gulf coast boxies, but I have head box turtles in general have the best personalities.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes, my three toed is very chill and relaxed as well. Nothing seems to stress him out.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I've never noticed much of a difference in personalities with the Three Toed and the Eastern's. I only had one Ornate, and she was very serious about everything she did. Very aggressive eater, who had to be fed separately, or she would lay on top of the dish so no one could eat anything except her. She was really good at finding worms and slugs and all kinds of bugs. When I had the big turtle garden, she would follow me around the whole yard, and nip at my feet until I gave her a piece of fruit. Chewy, my Eastern, is allso an agressive eater. Now I have one Gulf Coast, which I've never had before. She seems to have a similar personality as the Ornate. She is not an aggressive eater though. She doesn't like strangers in the yard and will chase someone she doesn't know. We did this three times so we could get a picture..... she came out from hiding under plants with her mouth open. Trying to scare him away? I don't know.
I really think each turtle has his/her own personality, no matter what kind of box turtle it is. Just like people.

041-16.jpg

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
terryo said:
I've never noticed much of a difference in personalities with the Three Toed and the Eastern's. I only had one Ornate, and she was very serious about everything she did. Very aggressive eater, who had to be fed separately, or she would lay on top of the dish so no one could eat anything except her. She was really good at finding worms and slugs and all kinds of bugs. When I had the big turtle garden, she would follow me around the whole yard, and nip at my feet until I gave her a piece of fruit. Chewy, my Eastern, is allso an agressive eater. Now I have one Gulf Coast, which I've never had before. She seems to have a similar personality as the Ornate. She is not an aggressive eater though. She doesn't like strangers in the yard and will chase someone she doesn't know. We did this three times so we could get a picture..... she came out from hiding under plants with her mouth open. Trying to scare him away? I don't know.
I really think each turtle has his/her own personality, no matter what kind of box turtle it is. Just like people.

Lol omg Terry, I would have liked to see the ornate chase you around lol. My new three toed baby is so scared of me :(

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My gulf coast is more shy of people than my 3 toed. The gulf coast spends his entire day buried under substrate except for on feeding days when he comes out to eat, soak, and chew on his cuttlebone. Otherwise, he is buried. My 3 toed is out and about from the time the lights come on until late afternoon or even dinnertime. Usually by 6 p.m. the 3 toed is buried for the night. But until then he is out in the open eating, soaking, exploring, etc. And if I approach the cages and look inside, the 3 toed will somtimes come out from under his plant and approach the side of the cage. The gulf coast retreats as if he is annoyed with me. Funny thing is, the gulf coast is about 3 1/3 inches long and 125 or so grams in weight so not tiny anymore. The 3 toed is only 2 inches and about 30 grams in weight but is more bold in personality. If I take them out of their cages though, the 3 toed becomes a statue and the gulf coast wanders everywhere!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep both kinds and haven't noticed any differences. I have some shy tt's and some outgoing. Same with the gulfies - some shy - some outgoing. I think its more of an individual thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.