Three toe or Gulf

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
All this time, I have said I have a Gulf Box Turtle and a Three Toed. Well, today I got a really good look at my Gulf box turtle and noticed he only has three toes on his back legs. For what ever reason befor, I thought he had four. He is a darker color and by all other things I have seen, he looks like a gulf box turtle. My question is, why do the three toed boxies come in so many different colors? The one I know is a three toed is a tan color. Do some gulf boxies have only three toes? I am confused as to what it is now, a gulf or three toed.image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

M

Maggie Cummings

Look at the pattern of it's scutes, it's a Gulf Coast, 3 toed have a different scute pattern....

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Yes it only has three toes on both back legs. I have rechecked. And the scutes look the same to me on both of them. The tan One is a bit more rounded, she is a three toed. The other has a more flat caprice, he is the darker one of which I called the gulf Boxie image.jpegimage.jpeg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He could be an integrade. I have a gulf coast/3 toed integrade. Both her parents had 3 toes on the back but she has 4. The shell shape and face of yours looks like he has gulfies characteristics.