Different Suggestions for Measuring Carapace Length??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I would like very much to be able to keep track of Zippy's growth and weight, but he (Zippy is decidedly a 'he' until I know otherwise:D ) is making it extremely difficult for me. I downloaded the wonderful manual that "Tlady" has put out (thx again Danny!) but that method doesn't seem to be working for me. As long as I have had Zippy he has never put his head in other than to scratch his nose-he is very outgoing. I try to put him against the wall gently to no avail....I feel like I am going to do some damage if I use any more force. If I do get him even close to all the way in, he wiggles so darn much that I can't get an accurate measurement (ex. he was 48mm when I got him and he is now 43mm..I don't think so..lol) Anyway, if anyone has any other methods that they feel work, please let me know :)

Cheers, Carley

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When they're real small you can just put him down on a piece of paper and trace around his shell with a pencil. Then every month or so you use the same paper and do a new tracing. If he won't stay still, trace him on his back.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yep, my wiggly ones I measure on their backs. Only takes a few seconds, you could also just measure the bottom shell. The measurement assures you he is growing and not too fast. As long as you get a measurement system you can repeat you'll have the measuring thing mastered.

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Though not agreed upon by all biologists, the midline carapace length (MCL) is the most commonly used measurement of length in turtles. Simply measure the straight line from the middle of the nuchal scute to the middle of the pygal scute. To get this measurement, you'll need a pair of calipers - these would be perfect for a small hermann's tortoise:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47257

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Status
Not open for further replies.