Digestion problem?

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Back to the OP:

I have no experience with the symptomolgy or species. However, all the general toxicological information I can find would not indicate calcium supplementation as a probable causal agent.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
My radiated not pooping again today. I also found a bubbly mucous-like stains on the coco coir. I feed him okra this week, okra is very slimy. Would it be possible that it's just residue of the okra's slimes?

Please tell me if i sound stupid as for now im just thinking back of any possibilities. I dont live in the capital city and reptilians vet here isnt really capable to diagnose and do proper examinations like your doctors in west countries.

I havent gave him any medication since he still has a very good appetite for the time being and doesnt show any behavior difference. Btw his weight is 630grams, up 10grams from last week.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
The exam for parasites is the same for mammals. The medication type and amount for tortoises is the part that is different. I would think a local veterinarian can check for the internal parasites and then make a phone call to the experienced veterinarians in the capital. Hope this helps. Do not ever feel that asking questions makes you stupid. It is the person that does not want to know the correct information stupid. None of us can speak to tortoises, so we need to ask friends here for help. It is the correct thing to do.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Some pictures of Okra and mucous-like substance i found on his cage.

Thanks for everyone's help here. I hope this can also give valuable info for any other radiated tortoise keepers.

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 31

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
mitchellr said:
Some pictures of Okra and mucous-like substance i found on his cage.

Thanks for everyone's help here. I hope this can also give valuable info for any other radiated tortoise keepers.

No radiated experience here, just an observation and a suggestion. Okra has a high mucilage content that could conceivably be the source. Given that your tort is eating well and acting otherwise normal, why not maintain good hydration, push high fiber foods and give things a few days?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
So I must ask, in all due respect, Ascott, are you making some veiled statement to your belief in a “higher power"

Thank you for being kind Ken...if what I said makes an impression of a veiled statement, then my response would be no, not at all. I firmly and outwardly believe there is a "higher power" that indeed is the master of the overall plan...the source of all parts of this life we know and ever chase to understand. When I refer to mere humans I mean that in the way that the higher power has a vision that we are always trying to explain, always trying to categorize, always trying to explain....and thankfully, in my humble opinion, we are part of the picture and therefore will not be able to explain this awesome force. I think that yes, there is a fascination with explaining away everything so we can check it off the list and go on to conquer the next thing...instead of relishing in the moment sometimes, we have to find and offer what we think is the ever all explanation...does that make sense??

that we as humans can never understand? And that this “higher power" is responsible for things we, as mere humans, will never[/u],

Yes, I believe we are meant to be part of what is going on and that we are not designed to "figure" it all out, but that sometimes we should simply understand we can not label, categorize all...that we should not think that we are the deciding factor...

nor should we try to, understand.

This is tricky, to me :)D), the days we are here are not nearly enough to ever truly understand all that is before us...and I think we get caught up (we) in trying to understand so much vs just enjoying what the big picture can truly offer---which is fantastic.

I ask sincerely, because it would appear to me this is what you are alluding to without actually saying it…[/quote]

I have a huge issue with this all of the time....I sometimes will share what I feel and believe....when doing this I offer no answers, I personally don't feel qualified as simply one of the species that walk this world to do that....

I also have to say that I have great respect for people who take the path of science, truly I do. These are people that have put alot of time into their journey....I only have a personal diversion to this when what they share is labeled as concrete, absolute, no deviation allowed....this is where I know that I have a difference of opinion because I feel that this life if full of no absolute outcome....

zenoandthetortoise, I am sincerely sorry if sharing my opinion may have been displayed as some type of dig at your hard work, your diligent study---this was not at all my intent, not at all. I simply intended to share that while there are the norm the norm can absolutely be tossed out the window by life and her wonders....so, I extend a true apology if anything I shared felt as though it were a dig at you...it was not.