Dip in lower back.

Totuga Al

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando Florida
My 2-1/2 yr old sulcata has a dip in her lower back of her shell on top. It doesn’t seam to bother her. She never makes any noises that could resemble discomfort. About 1-/2 yrs ago I was washing the bottom of her shell and she started kicking and she got traction and threw herself out of my hands. She landed on that part. Could that be why she has that little dip ? Now I keep all feet on the ground or I hold them on their side when I bathe them. No more falling since then.

image.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard to say. It could have been the fall, specially if that's the spot that hit. Weird though that it's showing up now and not then too.
As long as there seems to be no pain or problems from it I wouldn't worry.
She looks good.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Hello and welcome, my baby Sucata started having the same problem. I believe it was caused by having his basking light to low to his shell, you need a Temp gun to check that the light is not giving off to much heat. 20201105_114233.jpgOver time , I believe over time it can correct it self. My Sucata is 3 yrs. old, weighing 27lbs. The dent in the back of his shell is looking pretty good now, just remember to check the basking temperature and always soak him everyday.

Attachments

• 20210120_154001.jpg
    20210120_154001.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

Totuga Al

Orlando Florida
Hello and welcome, my baby Sucata started having the same problem. I believe it was caused by having his basking light to low to his shell, you need a Temp gun to check that the light is not giving off to much heat. View attachment 316208Over time , I believe over time it can correct it self. My Sucata is 3 yrs. old, weighing 27lbs. The dent in the back of his shell is looking pretty good now, just remember to check the basking temperature and always soak him everyday.
Oh boy, he’s a handsome little fella. ??

Totuga Al

Orlando Florida
Oh boy, he’s a handsome little fella. ??
I was wondering if I was over feeding them because, one of my little girls are 2-1/2 yrs old about 15-17lbs range, And my other little girl is 2yrs. 2mnths. And she weighs about 12lbs. So yours little guy is 3 yrs old and 25lbs. Cool. I’m not too far behind. Lol.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I was wondering if I was over feeding them because, one of my little girls are 2-1/2 yrs old about 15-17lbs range, And my other little girl is 2yrs. 2mnths. And she weighs about 12lbs. So yours little guy is 3 yrs old and 25lbs. Cool. I’m not too far behind. Lol.
I don't believe you can over feed them, my Sammy eats all day long, grass, collard greens, mustard greens, chicory in the winter. In the summer he eats alot of mulberry leafs, hibiscus leafs and flowers, dandelion flowers and catus pads and cutus pears. He also enjoys Mazuri LS for breakfast everyday. He weighed 46 grams when I got at 4 months old, he just turned 3 yrs. old on Dec 21. On his 3rd birthday he weighed 24 pounds. 11ozs. Yesterday is weighed 27 pounds, he gained just over 2 1/4 pounds in 1 month. Feed them all day, they will ear what they want.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My 2-1/2 yr old sulcata has a dip in her lower back of her shell on top. It doesn’t seam to bother her. She never makes any noises that could resemble discomfort. About 1-/2 yrs ago I was washing the bottom of her shell and she started kicking and she got traction and threw herself out of my hands. She landed on that part. Could that be why she has that little dip ? Now I keep all feet on the ground or I hold them on their side when I bathe them. No more falling since then.

View attachment 316180
Hello and welcome, my baby Sucata started having the same problem. I believe it was caused by having his basking light to low to his shell, you need a Temp gun to check that the light is not giving off to much heat. View attachment 316208Over time , I believe over time it can correct it self. My Sucata is 3 yrs. old, weighing 27lbs. The dent in the back of his shell is looking pretty good now, just remember to check the basking temperature and always soak him everyday.
That flat spot is totally normal for all sulcatas. Its caused by genetics, not by falls or heat lamps. Falls and heat lams can certainly cause problems for the carapace, but they don't cause that slope to happen and the slope is not a "problem". Its normal.

IMG_0934 copy 2.JPG