Dirt on eyelid

Tortski

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Probably something that is stupidly easy to fix. My tort has had a tiny dirt clump on the edge of his eyelid. I've tried blowing it off (away from his eye) but it stuck. I would try to pour water on it, but like I said, it's at the edge and if he closes his eye it will just stick. He doesn't seem to have an issue with it, but it's bugging me.

Melis

Maryland
Probably something that is stupidly easy to fix. My tort has had a tiny dirt clump on the edge of his eyelid. I've tried blowing it off (away from his eye) but it stuck. I would try to pour water on it, but like I said, it's at the edge and if he closes his eye it will just stick. He doesn't seem to have an issue with it, but it's bugging me.
Maybe try a wet cotton ball to wipe it off?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Give your tort a bath . Cause they will put their head under water to drink it may take more then one or two baths .

Tortski

Arizona
Thanks both of ya. I couldn't find a cotton ball, so I tried a tissue, and decided to move his head a lot so I couldn't get it, but I will try later when he won't be as active.

As for the bath, I just gave him fresh water a bit ago, but he rarely ever drinks his bath water and if he does, he's never put his head that deep in water

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be a skin tag too. That wouldn't brush off at all.

Tortski

Arizona
I got him to sit still long enough for this. Does it look like a skin tag? If yes, is there anything that I can do to take care of it, or avoid another one?

1505244007418.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks both of ya. I couldn't find a cotton ball, so I tried a tissue, and decided to move his head a lot so I couldn't get it, but I will try later when he won't be as active.

As for the bath, I just gave him fresh water a bit ago, but he rarely ever drinks his bath water and if he does, he's never put his head that deep in water
Is the water warm enough?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I got him to sit still long enough for this. Does it look like a skin tag? If yes, is there anything that I can do to take care of it, or avoid another one?

View attachment 218073
Of course, the picture is flat and you are seeing it in real time, but to me it just looks like colored skin.

Tortski

Arizona
I was messing with his leg (poking) and petting him and I noticed that it looked like he wouldn't cover his eye all the way. I tried to see if he would when he trying to "remove" my finger from his head by rubbing his leg on it, but he would only do it when he was facing the wrong side. His other eye seemed fine. My mom tried to wipe it away again, and I poured water, but it stayed. I will try to get a better look, and some pictures when he's sleeping.

Tortski

Arizona
Is the water warm enough?
He seems to enjoy the temp I usually have it at. I don't use a thermometer on it, but I feel the water before I put him in. I usually take him walking around as a sign that he is either too hot or cold, or he wants out.

Tortski

Arizona
Looks like it's happening to both. This is his other eye. He's facing the wrong way for me to get the other without waking him up. He did get some new bedding about a week ago, could it cause this? The old bedding was eco earth mixed with repti bark. Now it's repti bark and oil free aspen shavings. I've also been slowly adding grass and hay to his diet. Those are the only things that have changed recently that I can think of.

Melis

Maryland
Is this a sulcata? Aspen shavings are not a good substrate. You should use coco coir or orchid bark. This will also help maintain humidity. If that is when you started noticing issues, I would switch substrate asap.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
He seems to enjoy the temp I usually have it at. I don't use a thermometer on it, but I feel the water before I put him in. I usually take him walking around as a sign that he is either too hot or cold, or he wants out.
How about taking him to a vet?

Please keep us updated.

And wishes for a speedy recovery, to your tort.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Aren't Sulcatas burrowers? They're probably not bothered by a little dirt in their eyes. If it is dirt their own tears usually flush it the best.

Tortski

Arizona
Is this a sulcata? Aspen shavings are not a good substrate. You should use coco coir or orchid bark. This will also help maintain humidity. If that is when you started noticing issues, I would switch substrate asap.
Oh shoot. I thought I saw somewhere on here that it wasn't good, but my mom put it in before I had a chance to do anything about it. Unfortunately we don't have anything to switch to at the moment besides Timothy hay. I know I'm going to get yelled at if I change his bedding to the little bit of hay that we have.

How bad is it? Should I leave him with just the hay, until we get new stuff?

Tortski

Arizona
And yes he is a Sulcata

Tortski

Arizona
How about taking him to a vet?

Please keep us updated.

And wishes for a speedy recovery, to your tort.
I'm going to try, but my parents didn't think that there was anything wrong with him not closing his eyes all the way, so it will be rough.

I will. I'm currently waiting for him to fall asleep again, so I can take a look again.

Thank you!

Tortski

Arizona
I forgot to mention that he also got his head hurt a while ago. I've been talking with people on here, and it seems be healing nicely. He has been acting normally though.