Dirty face

Status
Not open for further replies.

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
My sulcata keeps going though his water bowl then though the substrate (coco fibre) and ending up with it stuck all over his face, am worried it will irritate his eyes I keep washing off, as it does seem to bother him as he keeps trying to rub his face on his shell

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe try a different kind of substrate, like cypress mulch around the water bowl. See if that helps.

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
I will see if I can get some cypress mulch and try that, I do have slate round it but he's so messy!! I have been trying to get some large flat pebbles to put down food and water end as think that would help but not found what I am looking for yet :(

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
California
This happens to my Russian tort as well. That stuff is too messy, so is the sand/coconut fiber mix! I like the coconut bark better, but it gets dusty and dry! The cypress bedding is too dangerous, so whats the best solution?

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
fabfourgirl1964 said:
This happens to my Russian tort as well. That stuff is too messy, so is the sand/coconut fiber mix! I like the coconut bark better, but it gets dusty and dry! The cypress bedding is too dangerous, so whats the best solution?

Why is the Cyrpess Bedding to dangerous?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been using cypress mulch for many years and have never had a problem with it. What have you heard about the danger?

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
California
Maybe dangerous was the wrong word to use. But I read that it was better used for bigger tortoises instead. Russians like to burrow and sharp small sticks get stuck or might be ingested. I've heard that it molds too. But some people use it and never have a problem with it.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
fabfourgirl1964 said:
Maybe dangerous was the wrong word to use. But I read that it was better used for bigger tortoises instead. Russians like to burrow and sharp small sticks get stuck or might be ingested. I've heard that it molds too. But some people use it and never have a problem with it.

I use it mixed half with the coco core stuff it's the only way to keep moisture in the cage longer than 15 minutes. Have not had any problems yet. What do you use?

fabfourgirl1964

5 Year Member
California
I like to use the T-Rex coconut bark. It seemed dry, so I added some coconut fiber. But lately I've noticed his skin peeling under his chin. I don't know if that is okay?

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Peeling I think means to dry of conditions. You may want to give him extra baths and moisten the substraight more. I like the cypress mulch because it holds moisture better. The only time I had a problem with mold was when I set the dishes on top of it. I dig them to the tank bottom now and have solved that problem. I am a newbie at this so someone please correct me if I am wrong.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I have been using mulch. I love it. It holds humidity. I never have mold. Its not in messy at all. Lots of people use it. Without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.