dirty mouths

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
waco tx
i have been letting my hatchlings graze on grasses, dandis, clovers ,and hibiscus trees 4 days a week, and lately when i bring them inside, their mouths are dirty and look like they are wearing dark almost black lipstick.. it comes off when i wash them with a q-tip but they hate it when i do that.. i was wandering if anyoneelses sulcatas get dirty mouths after grazeing outside or is it something i need to get checked out at the vet.. they are both eating well and gaining weight and havent lost any weight, or any appetite..

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I don't have sulcatas but all my torts will get dirty mouths when outside espically when eating dandilions. Plantain also stains the mouths. In few days it wears off.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I gave my sulcata some spinach leaves and his mouth turned green! But eventually it wore off. It was a little weird looking. :)

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

DozersMom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Mine have dirty mouths and if you see pictures of well fed large adults you will see most of them have "dirty" mouths too. Its because they are crushing up all their food with their beaks and some of the foods contain more moisture so it gets sticky. Nothing to worry about.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
DozersMom said:
Mine have dirty mouths and if you see pictures of well fed large adults you will see most of them have "dirty" mouths too. Its because they are crushing up all their food with their beaks and some of the foods contain more moisture so it gets sticky. Nothing to worry about.

Plus, most of them eat their poop!

Yvonne

DozersMom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Mine dont eat their poop, I pick it up out of the enclosure once i see it.

M

Maggie Cummings

i have been letting my hatchlings graze on grasses, dandis, clovers ,and hibiscus trees 4 days a week, and lately when i bring them inside, their mouths are dirty and look like they are wearing dark almost black lipstick.. it comes off when i wash them with a q-tip but they hate it when i do that.. i was wandering if anyoneelses sulcatas get dirty mouths after grazeing outside or is it something i need to get checked out at the vet.. they are both eating well and gaining weight and havent lost any weight, or any appetite..

They get it from the green in the grasses, (chlorophyll maybe?)
and from eating poop...lol

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
No worries, and you know what? They will get used to you washing their mouths: I know my Snortie Tortie got used to it pretty quickly, and altho MR. Sweeetheart still tries to hide from it, he is getting better about it.

Of course, as others have written, it will wear off and is no biggie, but I still like to "brush their teeth" when I give them a bath, lol.

Happy Sunday to All ~
Purpod

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
It's fine its just cuz the moistness from the greens they eat dye there mouths for a few days or weeks the darker the greens the darker there mouths will get. :)

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
yup, black mouth indeed.

and on that very rare occasion, red lipstick from a strawberry.

Status
Not open for further replies.