Discolored potty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

genfizzle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, FL
Sowhen my Sulcata goes potty, his pee is usually a brown color. Im not sure if this is normal, or what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
offer up additional hydration (soaking once a day and foods higher in water content as a bump) slightly brown twinge of color is not bad...but I personally am more comfortable with a clearer urine color....:D

jason g.

5 Year Member
Regular daily soaks took care of that for rose. I didn't know young sullies needed soaked every day when I 1st got her. I was told 1 time a week. I guess that's for older ones.

genfizzle

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
I just recently got him. Like maybe a week ago or so...Hank is 6 but is really small for his age. 9lbs and 9 1/2 inches. He didnt grow the first few years. As for food what i was told was that he eats every other day alternating between a stalk of romaine lettuce and the tortoise pellets that expand in water. He always seems hungry though, but i read over feeding is a no-no.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey, do you have another thread about food amounts and stuff? I think I recall the description of your tort and stuff?????hmmmm

A stalk of romaine is WAAAAAAY too little :D You are talking about a species of tort destined to be, well, large.

While I am an advocate for not overfeeding...your tort needs to be able to graze as much as possible....in your food offerings (for a tort that size, almost any tort that size) can easily put away a bit of food, for example using a heat of romaine as size...a tort that size can easily eat an entire head of romaine in the am and then again at night and graze on and off during the day on their own.....sooooo, that one little stalk of romaine may be a touch inadequate....:D

Now, if you want to make sure you are not overfeeding, you can make sure your tort grazes....if not an option....then you will want to do two food offerings each day, usually in the am and then before nightfall----I would mix up some romaine, red leaf, green leaf along with a red bell pepper split between the two meals....then gauge from each of the feedings over a few days the appropriate amount for your tort...if there is some food left at each meal then adjust accordingly...if there is absolutely nothing left and this occurs quickly, then maybe add a bit more...also, watch your tort the first few days to see when they "finish" at each food sitting, so you see at what point they walk away and this will give you a bit truer gauge as to what they will eat to reach satisfactory level...

The lettuces I am giving here are examples of high water content foods that you can offer as part of a varied diet....:D

genfizzle

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
Yeahh i had posted a thread about diets and such. I have a list of greens and fruits and veggies.But i just dont know what to actually buy or feed him to make sure he's healthy.

jason g.

5 Year Member
genfizzle said:
Yeahh i had posted a thread about diets and such. I have a list of greens and fruits and veggies.But i just dont know what to actually buy or feed him to make sure he's healthy.

Variety. All different stuff he will pick his favorites and if it's all healthy then: ) good for him. At least greens (weeds, flowers ,grass, hay,spring mix ) you know the stuff they love!!; )

genfizzle

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL
So how about this.. Soaking. I put his little tub out, he fits all nice and cozy and breathing room.. and it's a shorter container, but he keeps climbing out. Just get a bigger container?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
genfizzle said:
So how about this.. Soaking. I put his little tub out, he fits all nice and cozy and breathing room.. and it's a shorter container, but he keeps climbing out. Just get a bigger container?
Yes. Use a tub that is deep enough that he can't climb out. The water should be warm, around 90*. He should stay in at least 10 min. Longer if possible and the water stays warm enough for him. I soak mine in the mornings so he often sits for 30 min. In the afternoon he is way too active to sit for that long. He will usually drink in the 1st 10 min., but I have seen him take his biggest drinks in the 2nd 10 min. If the water gets below 85* I take him out and dry his shell off before putting him back outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.