Distance or species as decision for 10.0 vs 5.0?

Beck

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland/Central FL
It's been awhile that I've been on, but my RF is doing great. She's gone from 1.95oz to 5.65oz in 4 months. She's not shy and loves to get her shell scratched (ooh, she dances when you find the right spot!)

I'm upgrading her enclosure. It will be closed chamber with light/CHEs inside. Distance from surface of substrate to ceiling will be 20 inches. I prefer the light to be mounted onto the ceiling (so not quite 20inches, but close), so that its out of the way. Maximum effective distance for a 5.0 UVB tube is 12 inches. Maximum effective distance for a 10.0 UVB tube is 20 inches. The tube is 15watt/18 inches, no matter the UV output. The enclosure is 3ft by 5 ft with the light in the center.

Can I give a redfoot a 10.0 UVB tube at ~20 inches distance, or is that too strong? Do I need to just suck it up and lower the light fixture?

Thanks y'all!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The 10.0 is fine, just make sure to provide plenty of hides.

mikeh

5 Year Member
While T8 10.0 at 20" is fine, I would go with longer 48" fixture. IMO 18" UVB tube for 5'x3' enclosure is not sufficient.

I would look into Zoomed 48" T5 HO 5%, promotional bulbs are included free with fixture. Since its a high output tube, 5% is sufficient at 20" distance for forest dwellers.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
mikeh said:
While T8 10.0 at 20" is fine, I would go with longer 48" fixture. IMO 18" UVB tube for 5'x3' enclosure is not sufficient.

I would look into Zoomed 48" T5 HO 5%, promotional bulbs are included free with fixture. Since its a high output tube, 5% is sufficient at 20" distance for forest dwellers.

Wow, two feet of light! I'd say that's overkill, but truth is, it's been too cold to have her out on the porch lately. We'll be moving in 6 months and she'll have an outdoor pen, but if that's what she needs, that's what she needs.

mikeh

5 Year Member
4' length X 1' width coverage gives you 4sq feet of UVB coverage. Your set up is 15sq feet. Not an overkill at all.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Ah yes, 48 inches is 4 ft. I'm going to go sit in a corner and finish my coffee now...

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
Dont feel bad. I was reading the inches as cm and getting REALLY confused. I'm working on my coffee too. :)

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Since I already have a fixture that holds 18" tubes, I may just buy a shorter (say 30") fixture (and use the 5.0 HO -- thanks for the tip!) and combine the two. That will save $20 and not waste my old fixture. Hmm...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I like that bulb type/length recommendation, too.
Have the hides, and several plants, and some scotch moss (for humidity).
Then you get that dappled light feeling, with the 'sun' breaking through in a few spots.

I'm also having coffee. :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I like that bulb type/length recommendation, too.
Have the hides, and several plants, and some scotch moss (for humidity).
Then you get that dappled light feeling, with the 'sun' breaking through in a few spots.

I'm also having coffee. :D

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Distance or species as decision for 10.0 vs 5.0?

Beck said:
Since I already have a fixture that holds 18" tubes, I may just buy a shorter (say 30") fixture (and use the 5.0 HO -- thanks for the tip!) and combine the two. That will save $20 and not waste my old fixture. Hmm...

Sure, don't waste your old fixture if the bulb is still good. I'd still go with 48" in addition to yours. At 20" it overall still is not a high amount of UVB (equivalent to deep shade) and area covered by it. I would even make a small hill to close some distance within the bulb vicinity.

Like Lynn suggested couple plants to break up the light will give a nice effect.

On a side note, some animal protein in the diet is beneficial to red foots, also for additional vit D.