UVB for Leo

Donatello Tori

Hi all

I'm having trouble trying to purchase a uv light for my baby leopard tortoise. I live in South Africa and winter doesn't allow me to take him out for as long as I used to.

I've been to two pet stores. The first said that for a tortoise the only uv light I should buy is a 10.0 UVB tube. The other tried to sell me an 8.0 UVB and said it's the same thing.

Please help I'm not sure if one was just trying to make a sale or can I buy any uvb light and just adjust the distance?

My enclosure is roughly 5ft by 2.5 ft closed top

Thank you
Bronwyn and Doni

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
If if is a tube flourescent bulb then they werent wrong. That will work. If it is a coil type flourescent also known as compact flourescent, it can have damaging effects to tortoises eyesight and eventually kill them. If you can purchase a mercury vapor bulb for tortoises (they are a bit pricey) it acts as a "mini sun" per say. It has uva and uvb while providing heat as well.

Donatello Tori

If if is a tube flourescent bulb then they werent wrong. That will work. If it is a coil type flourescent also known as compact flourescent, it can have damaging effects to tortoises eyesight and eventually kill them. If you can purchase a mercury vapor bulb for tortoises (they are a bit pricey) it acts as a "mini sun" per say. It has uva and uvb while providing heat as well.
Thank you and I will definitely look into the mercury vapour bulb.