Disturbed hibernation help!

Ladyhutch

Location (City and/or State)
Dorset, England
hello,
We have 2 Herman tortoises and they are now 15 years old. They have been hibernating successfully for the past few years with no issues. However, we started hibernating them this winter and unfortunately their hibernation got disturbed and they are now wide awake. The female is of very good weight and size but the male is a lot smaller and we're just not sure weather it's safe to hibernate them again?! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Ladyhutch, and welcome to the Forum! Where exactly is "here"?

If it were me, I would set them up indoors with heat and lights for the rest of the winter.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
hello,
We have 2 Herman tortoises and they are now 15 years old. They have been hibernating successfully for the past few years with no issues. However, we started hibernating them this winter and unfortunately their hibernation got disturbed and they are now wide awake. The female is of very good weight and size but the male is a lot smaller and we're just not sure weather it's safe to hibernate them again?! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

What disturbed their rest?

Ladyhutch

Dorset, England
We are based in Dorset in England. We're not sure what happened, we have done everything like we normally do, they live in our utility room that is attached to the house on a purpose built stand and I went in there one morning and they were both awake.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
What's the temperature, maybe it's just not cold enough yet?

Ladyhutch

Dorset, England
They were fully hibernated and the weather hasn't changed at all here really, we haven't had a sudden warm day to wake them up again. Just think they could have used all of their 'winter energy' up for the few days they could have been awake and We don't think we should hibernate them again if there's a chance their energy has gone but the person we normally go to for advise we are no longer in contact with. Just want to do what's best for them.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I don't know the temperatures in your utility room, but according to Google it's still warm in Dorset (up to 15°C?), if that's the case it's not unusual for them to still be awake.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If in any doubt, I'd overwinter them, too.
Best not to take any chances.:)
I come from Somerset and spent a lot of time in beautiful Dorset.
A very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your Hermanns':)