Dixie at the vet (Beware: vet pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletania

5 Year Member
Recent update.....well the vet said that they are fairly sure that the blockage is gone...BUT.... they also said that now there is ROTTEN FOOD (really smelly) coming out.....

He is worried that the rotten food may have become toxic and says "if it is toxic, it could kill her"..... he is treating her with antibiotics and says we "can hope for the best, because these guys are usually very resilient".

I am just so upset right now - it sounds good, but also sounds bad. I am just so worried about her.

oh...and she still isn't eating.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
She's gone through a traumatic experience, I wouldn't worry about the lack of eating just yet.
Once she starts feeling better, she'll be back to her normal ways.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
turtletania said:
Recent update.....well the vet said that they are fairly sure that the blockage is gone...BUT.... they also said that now there is ROTTEN FOOD (really smelly) coming out.....

He is worried that the rotten food may have become toxic and says "if it is toxic, it could kill her"..... he is treating her with antibiotics and says we "can hope for the best, because these guys are usually very resilient".

I am just so upset right now - it sounds good, but also sounds bad. I am just so worried about her.

oh...and she still isn't eating.

He sounds like a really awesome Vet, and like she's in good capable hands. I hope it ends up being okay :)

turtletania

5 Year Member
RE: Dixie at the vet (Bewavet pics)

Jacqui said:
So they are thinking cuttlebone started this? Huh. Just glad she seems to be headed towards recovery.

Yes he thinking one small piece got lodged and the rest just piled up behind it slowly compacting.

He said that cuttle bone is great for tortoises....BUT should be given only while the owner/carer is holding the other end and turn it sort of into a game. That way the beak gets what it needs by 'us' adjusting the bone to the direction needed; the shell gets the strength it needs but the tort is safe from blockage or dehydration.

So I will be only doing that from now on. I know she will "play" because she LOVES it....

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
RE: Dixie at the vet (Bewavet pics)

turtletania said:
Just heard from the vet.....Dixie didn't make it.

How upsetting :( I thought most of these procedures end up well...

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
So sorry for your loss. This must be really hard. I really thought she would be fine. R.I.P

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
Oh no!! That just breaks my heart. I'm so sorry this has happened. I feel so horrible for you. I really thought she was going to do well. I really did. I'll be praying for you to find comfort soon. You did everything right and you cared for her immensely. I wish things had turned out different for you two. :(

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I am so very sorry for your unexpected loss. You are a great tortoise mom and I hope that you find comfort in this time of sadness.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.