DIY humidifier/added heat source idea

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I had an idea for a homemade humidifier/extra heat source. I've seen similar things used to bump up humidity in hermit crab enclosures and thought I'd give it a try. I used a cereal storage container, a fish tank air pump tubing and stone, and a 50 watt fish tank heater.IMG_20190122_095531749.jpgI attached the fish tank heater to the inside of the storage container and set it at 86 degrees for my Redfoots enclosure but you could adjust the temperature to whatever suits your torts enclosure. I then hooked up the airline and airstone to the pump and placed the airstone inside the cereal container as well. Then I filled the container with waterIMG_20190122_100053341.jpgThe water inside the container will stay at 86 degrees from the heater and my thought is the air bubbles will increase evaporation and raise the humidity inside the enclosure. I think this will only be effective inside a smaller closed chamber enclosure. Each morning I will top of the container with water and I hope this will keep the humidity up without constantly having to add water and mist. IMG_20190122_100204542.jpg IMG_20190122_100144090.jpgMy humidity in my enclosure usually hangs around 80%. While installing this the lid was open and the humidity dropped to 30%. Within one hour the humidity is now reading 88%. So I think it will be effective. IMG_20190122_104232639.jpgThis whole setup cost about $25 to put together. I'll update with results after it's been running a few days.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
WOW- Like a Torie MacGuyver
I am one of those people thats always trying to figure out how I can build something myself rather than just buy one lol

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I personally love to repurpose. To date my simplest and most awesomist is a chrome and birch student desk from the 80's that is my Entertainment console- the file drawer holds my small collection of DVD's I cant part with!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Update: Well I thought it was a good idea, but it doesn't seem to be effective. I don't know why initially the humidity went up but I've had it running over 24 hours and my humidity is still hanging around 80%. Not really any higher then when put this in. Back to the drawing board I guess lol.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Update: Well I thought it was a good idea, but it doesn't seem to be effective. I don't know why initially the humidity went up but I've had it running over 24 hours and my humidity is still hanging around 80%. Not really any higher then when put this in. Back to the drawing board I guess lol.

Id say, get a much larger air stone. There are much larger, longer ones that produce a lot more bubbles. Might help.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Id say, get a much larger air stone. There are much larger, longer ones that produce a lot more bubbles. Might help.
Good idea, maybe one of those Bubble wands

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Here's an old system I used with very good results.
Although it wasn't heated