1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

DIY Incubator help

Discussion in 'Tortoise Breeding' started by DARKFIRE007, Mar 1, 2018.

1. DARKFIRE007

DARKFIRE007 Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Birmingham Alabama
    Alright I am trying my hand at a DIY incubator. I am using an Omaha steaks cooler which is CRAZY thick, right at an inch and a half. I saw this video https://theturtleroom.com/blog/2013/07/09/diy-incubator1/ in the breeding section here and was confused, every Youtube video had a heating element like a light bulb, but this had only a heater under water and eggs above. Would a submersible heater under a few inches of water really heat the whole cooler to the 87-89 range? Humidity would be fine, but the temp too? and does it not need ventilation holes?

The other method of a light bulb gives me pause...an electric heat source not designed for water, styrofoam, humidity and water in a confined space just seems like a bad idea to me. Not to mention the headache of maintaining a constant temp by trying to hook a thermostat or dimmer onto a bulb.

I need a heating method where I can keep the temp steady in the whole cooler, preferably without worrying about a severe fire hazard.

Mine is ready to go minus the heating, I even have a peeking window done.

Thoughts/suggestions?
  2. DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Also, here is a video for the other methods I was mentioning.
  3. Rover15

Rover15 Active Member 5 Year Member

ontario canada
    Im also interested if that would work
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    With the lid on the cooler, the heated water, using an aquarium water heater, would also heat up the air above it. Yes, the heated water incubator works.
  5. Toddrickfl1

Toddrickfl1 Well-Known Member

Ga
    Yes fish tank heater in the water would keep the cooler at whatever temperature you set it.
  6. DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
    No one answered me so I went my own route and got a wall outlet temp controller with a probe. It shuts power off when a certain high temp is met and kicks on when it hits the low I set. As for the heat, I found an energy efficient bulb does not get blazing hot enough to pose any risk but does rise the temp fairly quick.

Right now I can keep the temp between .3 degrees of where I want it at all times. My female is not quite breeding size yet, but I am ready for spring when she should be.
    Rover15 likes this.
  7. DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
    That is really interesting...I was convinced it would not be enough. At any rate, I am good to go and I can not say ENOUGH about the Omaha steaks cooler for this application. It was made for it.