do i need any permit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonDrug95

5 Year Member
do i need any permit for my indian star and srilankan?im in malaysia..im scared that its not legal to own..any1 have suggestions?:(

1.1.0 turkey
2.9.0 chicken
1.1.0 hamster
0.0.1 black marsh turtle
0.0.2 indian star tortoise
0.0.1 sri lankan star tortoise
1.0.0 unkown stray dog
1.0.0 cat
tons of fish

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
i dont know the laws for your country. try to google it and see what you get. but in the USA, you dont need any permits for those species. others you do, but not those that you listed.

but sri lankan star--- is that a burmese star or a radiated ? never heard of that star species. but im not the expert. Danny would know for sure (egyptiandan)

DemonDrug95

5 Year Member
erm sri lankans have a definite star patterns and most of them are linked :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Sri Lankan stars are just a type of Indian star tortoise.

I know they aren't legal to sell, but not sure of the legalities of keeping them in Malaysia.

Danny

kcy

5 Year Member
hello,u don't need any permit 4 that i think cuz i also brought it from pet shop but it don't seem they have problem selling it.

DemonDrug95

5 Year Member
oh ok thx guys..just to be sure im going to wildlife dep to check if need or not :p

Malaefic

5 Year Member
DemonDrug95 said:
oh ok thx guys..just to be sure im going to wildlife dep to check if need or not :p

Dude, if you’re in Malaysia, it is illegal to own Stars.
If you contact your wildlife department, it’s likely you will end up paying them bribes to keep your pet.
The wildlife department in your country don’t even care nor do they check. Why stir up the dirt?

If there has been no changes to legislation since 2004 (I highly doubt it):
Malaysia became a party to CITES in 1978. Peninsular Malaysia has no specific CITES implementation
legislation, although an amendment to the Protection of Wildlife Act in 1991 added CITES Appendix I, II
and III animals by listing them in the schedules of protected animals. However, no amendment was
made to add the absent taxonomic groups of chelonians, fish and amphibians to the Act’s schedules. This
oversight means that chelonian species listed on CITES, including the Indian Star Tortoise, were omitted
from the listing and are subsequently not covered by the Protection of Wild Life Act, and PERHILITAN,
as the CITES Management Authority for Peninsular Malaysia has no jurisdiction to take action against
their being traded. This serious legislative omission was been previously highlighted by Jenkins (1995),
Gregory and Sharma (1997) and Sharma (1999), but no action has yet been taken.
The only department within Peninsular Malaysia which can currently enforce CITES regulations for the
Indian Star Tortoise is the Royal Customs and Excise Department. It can only regulate the import or export
of CITES-listed species if detected at the point of entry to, or exit, from Peninsular Malaysia. Customs
does not have any jurisdiction once the species has entered the country. Therefore, if Indian Star Tortoises
are smuggled successfully into Peninsular Malaysia, i.e. avoiding detection by Customs at the point of
entry, dealers can sell them without fear of prosecution

Article from: http://assets.wwf.org.my/downloads/star_tortoise.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.